This recipe came from my friend Pearl who spends her summers in Italy. She got the recipe from an Italian friend who got it from someone in New Zealand. Pearl makes great cakes, she always gets a high rise! She is very relaxed in her baking, whatever tin you have will do she says.
I bake this cake in a lined 8 inch springform tin. Pearl uses her local (Italian) extra virgin olive oil, which sometimes I’m also lucky enough to have! Otherwise I use whatever extra virgin olive oil I have at the time. I have made this cake so many times and it always turns out well. It is the easiest cake to make and quite a large one so it works well for a dinner party dessert, served with some vanilla ice cream. Once I even forgot the syrup stage at the end and the cake was still good!
It is in cup measurements, I use my US cup measures. Pearl in her relaxed way says as long as you use the same cup for measuring everything it will be fine, I’ve seen her use a regular coffee cup.
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 3/4 cups olive oil
- Zest from 3 lemons
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
Grease and base line an 8 inch cake tin (I use springform)
Preheat oven to 350 F 180 C.
- Whisk together the sugar and eggs.
- Mix in the yoghurt.
- Add the olive oil and lemon zest.
- Fold in the flour.
- Pour mixture into cake tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean when inserted into middle of cake.
- While cake is baking mix together the 1/4 cup of sugar & 1/2 cup of lemon juice to make a syrup.
- When the cake is baked, take from the oven and while still hot prick cake surface with a toothpick and pour the lemon syrup over the cake. Leave to cool in the tin