Bacon Jam

Bacon jam madebyjayne

It’s national Bacon connoisseur week, alas almost the end of the event, I only found out about it yesterday!

Bacon is a funny thing, vegetarians often say it’s the meat they miss the most.  One of the most evocative smells is that of bacon cooking, instantly making one feel hungry!  I don’t eat very much meat so this is a very different post for me to be doing.  However I do like bacon, very well cooked crispy bacon.

I heard about bacon jam a while ago and was intrigued and if I’m honest initially kind of grossed out too.  Then I kept on hearing about bacon jam and I warmed to the idea and started craving this strange jam.  When I heard yesterday that it was bacon week I knew instantly that I had the perfect excuse to make bacon jam!

I searched for recipes and came across this one from Martha Stewart. I recently bought a slow cooker for the first time  and am still trying to think of ways to use it.  As this recipe is made in a slow cooker I thought it a serendipitous find.

I halved the recipe as I thought I may have a hard time convincing my husband to try the bacon jam!

The recipe I used is this one from Martha Stewart.  Apart from only making half of the recipe I didn’t make any changes.  I did not have much bacon fat to cook the onions in so if making this in the UK, I think as it’s an American recipe, they probably meant streaky bacon, I used unsmoked back bacon. The only thing I did differently was to add the garlic once the onions were soft, I don’t understand adding onion and garlic to the pan at the same time as the garlic start to burn before the onions cook.  I found the jam to be ready after 2 and a half hours.

I can not believe I waited so long to try this!  I also can not believe I made only half the recipe! This is so good, sweet and savory.  It looks like a cross between Christmas mincemeat and chutney.  I used it as chutney, well a lot of it I have eaten just by the spoonful, it’s that good!  My husband will be having this along with the cheese I made in sandwiches next week.  Yes he tried it and also loved it!

Slow-Cooker Bacon Jam

1. #1 by Susan on March 24, 2012 - 18:32

Oooh that looks good, Niamh Shields is always going on about it (and making it) but I’ve never quite sussed what it really was until now. Keeper! x

• #2 by Jayne on March 24, 2012 - 18:37

Thanks! Its really delicious!

2. #3 by Fuss Free Helen on March 24, 2012 - 18:36

I am quite intrigued by Bacon Jam, ever since I discovered in the wonderful Spar in Walthamstow (I think they were the first with it in the UK?). Love the idea of a slow cooker version.

Having read the recipe, I think jam is a misnomer, chutney would be better maybe?

Great to see your new site up – well done on making the leap to self hosted!

• #4 by Jayne on March 24, 2012 - 18:41

Thanks Helen! Blog is still not quite right but getting there, not self hosting yet just bought the domain, gosh I will need help to self host got into such a pickle just doing that!
      Yes it is more of a chutney than jam!

3. #5 by laura@howtocookgoodfood on March 24, 2012 - 19:35

I am now also intrigued by this and must say it looks pretty good in your photo. Think I may have to give this a try out of real curiosity, thanks!

• #6 by Jayne on March 24, 2012 - 21:31

Thanks, I hope you like it if you do try it!

4. #7 by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on March 24, 2012 - 19:45

He he, lovely to see a reference to the wonderful Spar in Walthamstow! They got their own label bacon jam on the telly with a jar of it held up by Jonathan Ross no less. I can trot round the corner and buy it whenever I like so never managed to make the effort to do my own. Your version in the slow cooker may just sway me!

I first heard of bacon jam way way back in 2009 when Lorraine at Not Quite Nigella wrote this excellent post here:
    http://www.notquitenigella.com/2009/10/08/bacon-jam-your-wildest-dreams-come-true/ – it would appear to originate from the states where you can buy a manufactured version.

5. #8 by current vintage on March 24, 2012 - 22:56

Welcome to bacon! I made up a recipe for bacon jam using the guidelines of those who have gone before. I added rum and it turned out so good that I had to give it away before I ate it all!

• #9 by Jayne on March 25, 2012 - 12:04

Yes, probably just as well I only made half the recipe, its a dangerous thing to have around!

6. #10 by lizthechef on March 25, 2012 - 02:07

So trying this…

• #11 by Jayne on March 25, 2012 - 12:01

Let me know if you do…

7. #12 by Barbara | Creative Culinary on March 25, 2012 - 02:34

I made bacon jam from my own cured maple bourbon bacon Jayne and in the ingredients used to actually make it I added some espresso too. I just love it on freshly made biscuits; you know one of those morning when you eat 4 biscuits and half a jar of jam and can’t believe you did it?

Now I’m missing it and I have some newly finished bacon; it’s now on the agenda and if I overindulge I get to blame you! :)

• #13 by Jayne on March 25, 2012 - 12:01

I will not allow myself to make biscuits, thanks for the tip, lol! Home curing your own bacon is most impressive!

8. #14 by charlotteskitchendiary on March 25, 2012 - 02:41

Ditto, great to see your blog up and running Jayne! I am very keen to try this soon!

• #15 by Jayne on March 25, 2012 - 12:05

Thanks! Let me know if you do try!

9. #16 by Sunchowder - Wendy Read on March 25, 2012 - 17:20

Brilliant to use the slow cooker for this Jayne! This is so popular here in the US, there is a company out in California that has made their fortune on it :) Thanks for posting!