Cornmeal Buttermilk Muffins with Chilli, Cheese and Chives #Baketogether

May is here already and with it came a new #Baketogether challenge from Abby Dodge this months lovely recipe was Abby’s Cornmeal Buttermilk muffins. Usually with the Bake together challenge you are invited to use Abby’s recipe but to “switch it up” and change things to suit yourself, this month there was also the choice between making sweet or savory muffins, thus dividing us into “team sweet” or “team savory”. When I saw this recipe I knew that I was going to be on team sweet, I love muffins and have never made savory ones, just didn’t fancy them. Then two things happened,  I saw the muffins that Carol and her daughter made for #Baketogether and they looked so good. Then later that weekend I was making oven fried chicken for dinner and what goes better with fried chicken than cornbread? I think Carol’s muffins had strayed into my subconscious because suddenly I found myself gathering the ingredients for the savory version of Abby’s muffins and voila I am on team savory!

I did some switching up and used olive oil instead of vegetable oil. Sheer laziness had me using mini loaf tins rather than dig my muffin tin out so strictly speaking these are loaves rather than muffins!  As I hadn’t planned to make savory muffins, (I had bought blueberries!) I used what I had, cheddar cheese in the fridge and chives in the garden and for a little kick I added chilli flakes.  This is another fool-proof recipe from Abby, the muffins have a fantastic light texture and they cooked perfectly. I loved this combination, the chives were subtle as was the cheese and the hot bursts of pepper (oh they were hot sometimes too!) added the final touch.

Here is my version of Abby’s Cornmeal Buttermilk Muffins, see the original version here I used the US cup measurements but weighed my cup contents for the gram equivalent.

Cornmeal Buttermilk Muffins with Chilli Cheese and Chives

• 3/4 cup (115 gram) Plain flour
  • 1/3 cup ( 50 gram) Fine ground cornmeal
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup (125 ml) Buttermilk, at room temperature
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 3 tbsp Olive oil
  • I tsp dried chilli pepper flakes
  • 60 gram cheddar cheese, grated
  •  1 tbsp Fresh Chives, chopped finely
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F, 180 C, Gas 4.
  2. Grease and line 6 muffin cup tin with muffin cases (or if you have them 4 mini loaf tins, lined with baking paper).
  3. Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl, whisk until mixed well.
  4. In a separate bowl add the buttermilk and to that add the egg and olive oil, whisk until well blended.
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, fold in gently with a rubber spatula( gently, no stirring).
  6. Add the chilli, cheese and chives and fold in gently with the spatula.
  7. Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes
  8. Best when warm but still delicious cold.

1. #1 by Carol Sacks on May 12, 2012 - 14:22

They are beautiful, Jayne! THank you for the mention, too:)

• #2 by Jayne on May 12, 2012 - 17:52

Thank you and thanks for the inspiration!

2. #3 by lizthechef on May 12, 2012 - 16:07

This is a recipe I will print and make!

• #4 by Jayne on May 12, 2012 - 17:53

I hope you do! One good thing too is that the recipe only makes 6 muffins so not too many!

3. #5 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on May 12, 2012 - 19:35

great twist on a great recipe! So nice that you were inspired by Carol, I love doing the baketogethers, I really do :) Printing this one off now to make later!

• #6 by Jayne on May 12, 2012 - 22:20

Thank you! I too love the Baketogethers! Each recipe is so good, Abby is amazing!

4. #7 by Drbabs on May 13, 2012 - 19:03

I’m on team sweet, but I bet these are scrumptious. Isn’t #baketogether fun?

• #8 by Jayne on May 13, 2012 - 19:35

Thanks! Yes it is fun, I love #Baketogether!

5. #9 by Barbara | Creative Culinary on May 13, 2012 - 20:18

I am most often a ‘team sweet’ sort but I have a recipe I just love that I wanted to share; and then Carol did it…so I’m off to do something different. Not altogether but a twist on Carol’s twist I guess! Cold and dreary here today so I’ve spent the morning gardening and now can spend a warm afternoon inside baking with my friends; imagining you are all here at my table. Oh how I wish!

• #10 by Jayne on May 13, 2012 - 20:52

Oh yes wouldn’t it be lovely if we could all share our muffins together! Look forward to seeing what you make!

6. #11 by The Wimpy Vegetarian on May 13, 2012 - 21:21

These are lovely and I’m definitely making your version soon! This is a perfect way to use a bunch of chives from my garden. I love seeing everyone’s take of another of Abby’s wonderful recipes. I went the sweet route, but am taking the savory route before I’m done!

• #12 by Jayne on May 13, 2012 - 21:48

Thank you! I think I will also be trying the sweet version before May has ended!

7. #13 by mjskit on May 14, 2012 - 04:53

What an irresistible list of ingredients! Chile and cheese cornbread muffins! Gotta love them!

• #14 by Jayne on May 14, 2012 - 06:19

Thanks for the comment, they were eaten quickly I must say!

8. #15 by http://writingservices.ws/ on July 23, 2012 - 09:10

mmm they are very tasty indeed! Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe