Chickpea, Tomato and Kale salad

I love chickpeas any which way, cooked in stews and curries, cold in salad, even sprouted. This salad happened one evening when I realised I had no pitta bread to go with the falafel we were having for dinner. The tomato salad I was making now needed substantiating as it was now going to be the only thing to be served alongside the falafel, especially if I was going to try to keep my husband happy. Somehow I felt just falafel and tomatoes would be too healthy and not enough for my hard-working man! The can of chickpeas I saw in the cupboard was the answer.  Happily we both liked this salad so much it has now replaced the pitta when we have falafel.

I admit the addition of kale goes in at the end only for me, that would be a healthy step too far for my green fearing husband! That is how I know that this salad also works with out the kale but it is better with it, my husband doesn’t know what he is missing! Spinach, if kale isn’t available, makes a good substitute.  Chickpeas are a good source of fibre,  low in fat and can help lower cholesterol levels so I’m so happy that my husband not only eats but likes this dish!

The tsp of chilli flakes make this fairly hot, use less if you don’t like so much heat.

Chickpea, Tomato and Kale Salad

Serves 2

• 1 can Chickpeas, drained
  • 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, at room temperature, rinsed
  • 3 Spring onions (scallions), trimmed, rinsed and sliced into small rounds
  • 1 heaped tbsp Basil, rinsed and chopped finely
  • a handful of Kale, rinsed and chopped into small pieces
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 tsp cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp Olive oil
  • 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
  • Sea Salt to taste
  1. Cut each cherry tomato in half and add to a bowl along with the chickpeas.
  2. Add the spring onions, basil and the kale to the bowl.
  3. In a jug mix together the lemon , vinegar and olive oil until blended.
  4. Add the chilli flakes and salt, mix in and pour over the salad.
  5. Toss together and season more if necessary.

This stores really well in a Tupperware in the fridge and the recipe can be doubled to make a good make ahead lunch to take to work, the kale leaf is robust enough not to wilt too much, in fact some may prefer it a day or so after it has softened a little.

, , , , ,

1. #1 by lizthechef on May 18, 2012 - 19:40

Lovely post, Jayne…I broke Larry in on raw kale by microwaving it for 30-45 seconds, just to make it a bit softer and bright, bright green…Shock in cold water to chill it and stop the heat.

• #2 by Jayne on May 18, 2012 - 20:27

Thanks! Great tip Liz! I may even be able to trick him that it’s spinach, which he will eat!

2. #3 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on May 18, 2012 - 20:09

Beautiful salad Jayne! I love chickpeas myself, Rachel doesn’t, but Andy is sort of keen on them :) I am going to try this sans chille flakes though. I just made a warm dish with brown rice, chick peas, tuna and a host of spices including cilantro which I am really trying to love. It came out delish too…now if I can only remember what I did!

• #4 by Jayne on May 18, 2012 - 20:30

Thank you! I like the sound of your dish! Hope you remember it! Glad you are
      still trying with cilantro, it always saddens me when people don’t like it as I live it SO much!

3. #5 by Sarah, Maison Cupcake on May 19, 2012 - 08:44

I’m crazy about chickpeas and feel bereft if there aren’t any in my cupboard. My favourite way to eat kale is baked in the oven with soy sauce on it – it goes all crispy.

• #6 by Jayne on May 19, 2012 - 09:56

Oh my goodness, cooking kale like that sounds amazing! I will be trying that as asap!

4. #7 by Andrew on October 10, 2012 - 17:18

Yum! I feel the same way about chickpeas. :)

• #8 by Jayne on October 11, 2012 - 16:18