British Jubilee Trifle

It’s a long time since I entered the Forever Nigella challenge, cooking one of Nigella Lawson’s recipes following a theme each month. This month Forever Nigella is hosted by Nelly at Nelly’s Cupcakes, the theme this month is of course the Jubilee. It took me a while to think what to make within the jubilee theme, I eventually thought of trifle, that very British of desserts that I remember all the ladies in my family making. Trifle appeared at every Christmas or family get together. I do not have a trifle loving husband so haven’t made it for years and I used to have a trifle bowl but that is a distant memory. A friend lent me her traditional crystal trifle bowl which is perfect, just the kind of bowl trifles used to be served in. The trend nowadays, indeed even Nigella prefers, is for the bowl to be clear so that the layers show better. However where the jubilee is concerned, for me its all about tradition. I have been left a little disappointed by the arty twist on a lot of the jubilee souvenirs this year.

The recipe of Nigella’s that I used is the The Boozy British trifle from her Nigella Christmas book. I have made a few changes. The trifle bowl I’m using is not very big so I halved the recipe. Another incentive to halve the recipe was that I could not bring myself to use the 1.5 liters of double (heavy) cream in the original recipe! I used whipping cream for the topping, a little less fat and calories there! I know that trifle will never be a dieters friend but the amounts of cream in the recipe were shocking! The one thing I have never liked, I know a lot of people wont share my opinion, is alcohol in trifle! As a child sherry just ruined trifle for me! My husband is even less keen on alcohol in desserts than he is on trifle so this trifle is alcohol free, making it not at all boozy as the original recipe title says. I found the custard to taste quite eggy and not very sweet so I’ve added more sugar. I also changed the topping of the trifle to make it more fitting for a jubilee!

British Jubilee Trifle

The recipe for The Boozy British Trifle can be found on page 42-44 of Nigella Christmas

The changes I made to the recipe are as follows

• I halved the recipe.
  • I used my homemade vanilla sugar in the custard and increased the amount to 100 grams.
  • In place of the sherry I used 225 ml of orange juice and omitted the orange zest.
  • I used whipping cream for the topping and whipped it fairly stiffly to be able to hold the fruit topping.
  • I used strawberries and blueberries for the topping.

1. #1 by lizthechef on May 26, 2012 - 18:22

I LOVE trifle and make it every Christmas, just as I did when my family was so much larger. I have a special trifle bowl that, yes, I use only once every year.

• #2 by Jayne on May 27, 2012 - 10:15

I loved trifle at Christmas! It so nice to have those special bowls isnt it?

2. #3 by Angela M (@daisyangel1) on May 27, 2012 - 08:07

I love the look of trifle but don’t like cold custard, such a shame because your Jubilee Trifle looks wonderful. I’m glad to hear I am not the only one who does not like alcohol in puddings ;)

Angela – Garden Tea Cakes and Me

• #4 by Jayne on May 27, 2012 - 10:16

Thank you! What a shame about the custard!

3. #5 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on May 27, 2012 - 18:01

Beautifully decorated! I hardly make a trifle and my Andy loves them–I will bookmark this for our Christmas!!! Well done you :)

• #6 by Jayne on May 27, 2012 - 22:02

Thank you! Even my Andy liked this one!

4. #7 by laura@howtocookgoodfood on May 27, 2012 - 22:06

I just love a good old British trifle and thought of making one of these myself but like you seem to find them rather overloaded on cream! Although I don’t mind a bit of Sherry I do agree that orange juice can taste just as good. Love your fruit topping :))

• #8 by Jayne on May 28, 2012 - 06:50

Thanks! The amount of cream was so surprising!

5. #9 by Eleanor Jean Creasey (@Jean_05) on May 28, 2012 - 03:51

Beautiful! Sounds delicious too!

6. #11 by charlotteskitchendiary on May 30, 2012 - 14:02

Jayne, this look stunning – so beautifully topped. I adore a good trifle, and yours looks heavenly!

• #12 by Jayne on May 31, 2012 - 09:58

Thank you! Rather ashamed at how quickly we finished it!

• #13 by Charlotte @gofreecakes on May 31, 2012 - 22:21

Don’t be! We have trifle on Christmas day after lunch and even after the a full Christmas meal, I can polish off a large portion of trifle (perhaps I shouldn’t admit to that!)

7. #14 by Homemade by Fleur on May 30, 2012 - 16:07

Lovely looking trifle Jayne, and well done for not adding all that cream!!! 1.5 litres is crazy. Congrats also for getting in the foodies ten @ ten. Well deserved.x

• #15 by Jayne on May 31, 2012 - 09:58

Thank you so much, that’s really kind of you.

• #16 by Charlotte @gofreecakes on May 31, 2012 - 22:21

Here here – so great to see you on there : )

• #17 by Jayne on June 1, 2012 - 21:33

Thank you so much!

8. #18 by mjskit on June 2, 2012 - 04:53

What a gorgeous Trifle! And this is half the recipe? Looks like it’s a lot and so SO good!

• #19 by Jayne on June 2, 2012 - 20:22

Thank you! It was good! Can you imagine how big the whole recipe would be, wow!

9. #20 by mmmarzipan on November 18, 2012 - 15:33

This looks and sounds delicious! :)

1. Best of the Foodie Blogs: Ten at Ten (21) | Foodies 100