Chive Blossom Vinegar

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about foraging and mentioned that for the first time I had used chive flowers.  I’ve grown chives for years so I’m not sure why I haven’t used the flowers before. I am in fact guilty of not remembering to use the chives very much either.  As well as the chives I am currently growing oregano, thyme and sorrel, I forget to use them all! Getting around to remembering and using my herbs is something I’m trying to be better at.  Around the same time as the foraging post I saw this post about making chive blossom vinegar by Marisa on her blog Food in Jars. With my chive flowers in bloom at the time I made it immediately and its been brewing in the cupboard since. There may still be enough chive flowers left for you to have a try, it’s really quick and easy. I will be using the vinegar I made on summer salads.

Coincidentally this project is perfect for the Urban farming challenge I’ve been taking part in this year, the challenge for June is all about botanicals, a new subject for me, I did mean to be more adventurous with the botanical theme and try to make my own lotion or balm, watch this space!

When making the Chive Blossom Vinegar as Marisa says it’s so easy you don’t need a recipe. Not knowing how I would like it I only made a small jar, using white wine vinegar. The result is surprisingly pretty, the purple hue from the blossoms colour the vinegar a lovely shade of pink and leave a surprisingly strong onion flavour, for those in the UK the taste is reminiscent of pickled onion vinegar although milder than that.  Heres what I did.

Chive Blossom Vinegar (inspired from Food in Jars)

• I half filled a 1 lb jam jar with freshly picked blossoms.
  • Rinse the blossoms and dry, in a salad spinner if you have one.
  • Put the blossoms back in the jar and fill with vinegar, I used white wine vinegar.
  • Seal jar and store in a dark place for up to 2 weeks, after this time strain the vinegar and store in your chosen jar/bottle.

The finished vinegar, isn’t it pretty?

1. #1 by lizthechef on June 29, 2012 - 21:19

My chives are beginning to blossom in the garden – I can’t wait to try this!

• #2 by Jayne on June 29, 2012 - 22:33

It’s such a good way to use the blossoms and so easy!

2. #3 by Homemade by Fleur on June 29, 2012 - 23:25

Oooo, I might just try this! Have never used chive flowers before either! It does look v pretty.

• #4 by Jayne on June 30, 2012 - 17:52

Thank you! Its funny how we ignore the flowers, I think they have more flavour than the leaves!

3. #5 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on June 30, 2012 - 04:18

Your vinegar is gorgeous Jayne! I really want to try this, I have a tiny pot of chives that never flowers :) I need to plant some just to make this vinegar!

• #6 by Jayne on June 30, 2012 - 17:54

Thank you! It is a nice addition to all the other vinegars we use! I wonder why your chives don’t flower?

4. #7 by Fuss Free Helen on June 30, 2012 - 22:39

That is so so pretty. I wonder if you could whizz it up into a pretty pink creamy dressing? For very girlie salads?

• #8 by Jayne on July 1, 2012 - 08:25

What a great, fun idea!!

5. #9 by laura@howtocookgoodfood on July 13, 2012 - 21:55

What a brilliant idea, I wonder if I have any chive flowers left in the garden which I could use for this gorgeous looking flavoured vinegar. Bet it gives you the most wonderfully onion taste without being harsh…..and it’s so pretty & pink!

• #10 by Jayne on July 16, 2012 - 14:50

Thank you! It is more oniony than you would think.

1. My Year of the Urban Farm Challenge | Made by Jayne