Peach Pie Conserve

By some good fortune I came across punnets of organic peaches that were buy one get one free just after seeing that peaches were the ingredient for August on Nazima and Laura’s  blog challenge called One Ingredient, this month over at workinglondonmummy.com

I was spoilt for choice as peaches are one of my favourite ingredients in the summer but finally decided to make this jam as my entry.

I’ve seen Peach pie jam mentioned on twitter and as a lover of peach pie it was music to my taste buds! Its been on my “to make” list for some time.  Peaches are a low pectin fruit and don’t set as well as other fruits so what was meant to be jam turned out to be a conserve, which is only a softer set jam and actually my preference.  The only recipes I could find for Peach Pie Jam were American ones using pectin, it seems much more common to use pectin in the US.  I prefer to use just fruit and sugar to make jams, relying on lemon juice for added pectin where necessary.  You can buy “jam sugar” in the UK which has apple pectin added, I have used this in the past and it does give good results but as I now prefer to use unrefined sugar I don’t use the jam sugar any more.

To make my version of Peach pie jam I just made peach jam and added cinnamon and nutmeg to make more of a pie flavour. It really does taste like peach pie filling!

Serendipity was shining on me when I came across those peaches as this recipe will also tie in with the August Urban Farm challenge set this month by Marissa McClellan, author of the wonderful book Food In Jars. This book is full of wonderful recipes, in fact there is even a peach jam recipe, I will make that next time!

Peach Pie Conserve

• 2 lbs peaches, about 10 peaches
  • 14 oz sugar (350 grams) I use unrefined
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
  1. Peel the skin off the peaches by placing the peaches in a bowl of boiling water for a minute. Remove from the boiling water and the skins (most of them, there is always a stubborn one!) should slip right off.
  2. Remove peach pits, chop the peach flesh up and put in your jam pan along with the rest of the ingredients. Stir together well.
  3. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 15- 25 minutes while stirring frequently.
  4. After 15 minutes check for setting point. The jam can take between 15- 25 minutes to reach setting point.
  5. Once set remove from heat and put jam into sterilised jars. Then follow your usual canning procedure, or not as the case may be. I put my jars in boiling water for 10 minutes.

, , , ,

1. #1 by lizthechef on August 11, 2012 - 19:57

Your jam looks lovely and I admire you so passing on the pectin.

• #2 by Jayne on August 12, 2012 - 20:14

Thank you! It’s actually not even easy to find pectin here!

2. #3 by laura@howtocookgoodfood on August 11, 2012 - 23:10

I love your recipe for peach pie jam. I do also agree with you and prefer the softer set jams. Using natural unrefined sugar can only help this jam to have that lovely flavour and not be too thick set either.
    A great One Ingredient entry!

• #4 by Jayne on August 12, 2012 - 20:15

Thanks so much for your comment, it was fun to participate!

3. #5 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on August 12, 2012 - 04:32

You jam looks perfect! You know that I don’ t use pectin in any of my products either. The wider the bottom of your pot is, and the smaller the batch (you used 2 lbs which is perfect), the more success I have found in getting the jam to the proper consistency. I do not usually even get my Peach jams up to 221. Strawberry, Raspberry and Blackberry jams made without pectin always need to get up to 221 or 222 degrees in order to gel. I adore peaches, so pleased this worked out for you! X, Wendy

• #6 by Jayne on August 12, 2012 - 20:17

Thanks! I probably could do with a proper jam pan after all this time! That may make setting easier.

4. #7 by Choclette on August 13, 2012 - 11:03

It looks really good and as though it has set well too. I only use unrefined sugars too and have never used added pectin, but then again I don’t make jam that often. I don’t think I’ve ever had peach jam or even conserve, but I suspect I’d rather like it ;-)

5. #8 by Charlotte @gofreecakes on August 14, 2012 - 21:30

Jayne, this looks and sounds delicious! I bought some nectarine jam from a lady in the village last year and loved it, and I imagine this would be even better. It’s on my to make list now too!

• #9 by Jayne on August 17, 2012 - 18:01

Ive never tried nectarine jam, now theres a thought! Thanks for that idea!

6. #10 by Frank @ Kraemers Culinary Blog on August 16, 2012 - 15:05

I like your recipe. My grandmother taught me how to make jams and she put her jars into boiling water the same way you did it.

• #11 by Jayne on August 17, 2012 - 18:00

How lovely that you remember her teaching you. Thanks for stopping by!

7. #12 by Laura loves cakes on August 21, 2012 - 08:55

I love the sound of the cinnamon and nutmeg in this jam. I’ve never tried making jam but always think I ought to give it a try!! :-)

• #13 by Jayne on August 22, 2012 - 09:35

Thanks for you comment, this jam smells divine with those spices! Making jam is so easy and so satisfying, a warning though its addictive!

8. #14 by workinglondonmummy on September 3, 2012 - 08:36

Jayne this is a wonderful recipe. What a great idea to add some wondeful cinnamon and nutmeg. Must be lovely and will see you through autumn. A great recipe for seasonal transition times!

• #15 by Jayne on September 9, 2012 - 10:27

Thank you, yes it will be lovely to have peach pie jam when winter is here!

1. My Year of the Urban Farm Challenge | Made by Jayne