Zucchini Bread (that’s really cake)

I can not believe that I have not put this recipe on my blog before! Its been my go to Summer cake recipe ever since the regular gluts of courgettes have come my way.

I have no childhood memories of courgettes, not one! I don’t think they made it into our house, my parents must not have liked them. I only seem to remember discovering them after I came to the UK, therefore I usually call them courgettes. I use the word zucchini for this loaf however as when I first started looking for inspiration for the courgette glut it was American recipes for zucchini cake that first caught my eye and the name has stuck!

This is a light cake with no taste of courgette, lets face it they are a rather tasteless vegetable aren’t they? The courgette do however lend a lovely moistness to the cake. Think carrot cake, only easier! Another thing I love about this loaf is that it uses olive oil rather than butter, a blessing for last minute cake making, no waiting for butter to soften! Finally as if I couldn’t sing this loaf’s praises enough, it freezes very well so when I have loads of courgette and I’ve got the food possessor out I shred more and make extra cakes to store in the freezer.

This loaf also works well with wholemeal flour.

I am linking this up with Ren’s Simple and in Season blog event as courgettes are most definitely in season at the moment!

Zucchini Bread

• 180 gram plain white flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 eggs
  • 180 grams sugar ( I like to use unrefined)
  • 125 ml olive oil – mild flavoured
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 200 grams grated zucchini (courgette)
  1. Pre heat oven to 170 c, 325 f, Gas 3. Prepare a loaf tin by greasing with a little olive oil and lining with baking paper.
  2. Weigh the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon into a bowl, whisk together.
  3. In another bowl, or in your mixer bowl beat together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla.
  4. Add the flour mix and combine well.
  5. Gently stir in the zucchini/courgette.
  6. Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
  7. When cooked cool in the tin for about 20 minutes the turn onto a rack to cool completely.

, , , ,

1. #1 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on August 31, 2012 - 19:17

I love Zucchini Bread! I have a go-to recipe myself, but your looks really good too. I add walnuts to mine for a special touch if I have them in the cabinet.

• #2 by Jayne on September 1, 2012 - 12:49

Id like to add walnuts to mine but Andy is a hater of nuts in things!

2. #3 by Lizthechef on August 31, 2012 - 21:03

A nice, simple and healthy recipe – and me with zukes in my fridge!

3. #4 by laura@howtocookgoodfood on August 31, 2012 - 23:10

A perfect seasonal cake recipe Jayne and one which I am hoping to write about myself next week, sorry! Reason being it makes use of my first ever yellow courgettes. Don’t worry though, I have already written the post and it a kiddie friendly mini lunchbox type recipe. I do love using olive oil in cakes and agree with you, can’t really taste the courgette but gives it lots of texture. But have to say I do love the courgettes flavour which I think is yummy when chargrilled on the BBQ, one of my absolute favourite veggies! I hope it encourages more people to use this vegetable in baking :)xx

• #5 by Jayne on September 1, 2012 - 12:53

Thanks for commenting, I look forward to seeing your recipe! You are right, courgettes on the bbq are delicious!

4. #6 by Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me (@daisyangel1) on September 1, 2012 - 11:19

I’ve only ever made Courgette Loaf once and thought it too oily so never bothered again. But maybe its about time I gave it another go although I don’t seem to have quite so many courgettes in the garden this year.

Angela

• #7 by Jayne on September 1, 2012 - 12:51

This isn’t oily at all! The weather has affected everyone’s veg this year, Ive yet to see a ripe tomato!

5. #8 by katiezeller on September 8, 2012 - 19:34

No courgette when I was growing up, either. I didn’t start eating them until we lived in Andorra and our neighbor kept giving them to us. I consider them a ‘blank canvas’ LOL

• #9 by Jayne on September 9, 2012 - 10:26

Yes! Definitely a blank canvas!

6. #10 by charlotteskitchendiary on September 13, 2012 - 21:34

Another great recipe Jayne. Thank you for sharing!

7. #11 by charlotteskitchendiary on September 13, 2012 - 21:35

PS I love courgettes and was regularly fed them as a child, but I know many people who said they were their “worst vegetable” as a child!

• #12 by charlotteskitchendiary on September 14, 2012 - 06:55

Well better late than never, lovely to read this Jayne!

PS you are lucky to have a good supply or courgettes available!