Apple Crumble for #FBS4S

No one can fail to have seen the devastation caused by the storm called Sandy that recently hit and devastated parts of the east coast of America. Seeing the coverage on tv it was hard to hard to believe what I was seeing. Not just water damage but fires had broken out and so many people were without power. Some were able to stay in hotels while they waited for power to be restored but what happened to the others? I know it wouldn’t have been in my budget to be able to stay in a hotel at the drop of a hat. If I were one of the people whose houses were destroyed I honestly don’t know what I would do. My heart goes out to those poor people. Of course people lost more than just belongings, some also lost loved ones, such terrible sadness. From so far away all I can do is hold those people in my thoughts and wish them well.
Of course the news changes and attention moves to other stories. Those people without houses however are still living that life. Then I saw this post of Barb’s asking food bloggers to unite, show support and make a comfort dish on November 8th, something you would make for someone in need of a little help and maybe donate something to the various charities helping those affected by that terrible storm.

So that’s what I’m doing,  today I’m sharing this recipe for apple crumble as part of the Food Bloggers Support for Sandy event organised by Barb from Creative Culinary and Jen Jenn Cuisine  Of course it doesn’t just have to be today, the link up is open for the rest of November so join us!

Apple crumble seemed just the sort of dish that one would associate with comfort food. Of course something savoury would probably be more appropriate for someone without use of a kitchen but I figured there is always room for dessert! My version is quite generous with the crumble. I like to use unrefined muscovado sugar and cinnamon so its fragrant and sweet.

Apple Crumble

For the fruit filling

• 750 grams apples, about 6 large
  • 30 grams unrefined muscovado sugar
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg

For the crumble

• 180 grams plain flour
  • 120 grams unrefined muscovado sugar
  • 100 grams unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 C, 350, F, Gas 4
  2. Peel and core the apples then slice them.Place in a bowl and mix with the sugar and cinnamon, seeing that all the apple slices are coated.
  3. To make the crumble rub together the flour, sugar and butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
  4. Put the apples into an oven proof dish and sprinkle the crumble over the top of them until all the apples are covered.
  5. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is brown and crisp.
  6. Serve warm or cold with ice-cream, custard or cream.

If you feel inclined to make a donation here are some of the larger organizations that are helping the victims of Sandy.

• American Red Cross is providing food, shelter, and other forms of support to hurricane victims. You can donate directly to the Red Cross or  you can also text the word “Redcross” to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
  • The Salvation Army is also focused on providing food, shelter, and support to victims, and takes donations for storm relief.
  • Feeding America is providing food, water and supplies to those who need it as part of their disaster relief program.

If donating from the UK the above websites will not accept a UK address the British Red Cross also has a hurricane Sandy appeal.

1. #1 by Carrie @ poet in the pantry on November 8, 2012 - 15:12

We’re on the same page here–I found Apple Crumble very comforting, too. Hard to believe so much destruction in an area rarely hit hard by natural disasters.

• #2 by Jayne on November 9, 2012 - 21:47

Thanks for stopping by. It is all the more shocking, I think, to see such devastation there we aren’t used to seeing it.

2. #3 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on November 9, 2012 - 14:18

So very good of you to support the effort Jayne…it is so very sad. So many of the beaches that I went to as a child have been devastated. Your crumble looks lovely and I do agree, this is pure comfort food.

• #4 by Jayne on November 9, 2012 - 21:48

Such a lot of devastation, indeed so sad. Barb & Jen were great to organise this.

3. #5 by Karen Burns Booth on November 9, 2012 - 20:55

What a lovely idea Jayne, and maybe I will try to join in! Your crumble looks proper lush! Karen

• #6 by Jayne on November 9, 2012 - 21:50

Thanks Karen! Look forward to seeing your comfort dish!

4. #7 by Maureen | Orgasmic Chef on November 10, 2012 - 00:21

I love apple crumble and this would be so comforting to those who really need to know we care. Lovely post.

5. #9 by jamielifesafeast on November 10, 2012 - 09:33

I think this is a very worthy cause and an important blogging event. But I must say that one thing that I love about these events is getting to know new bloggers. And an apple crumble is definitely my idea of comfort food since I first learned to make an Apple Brown Betty in junior high home ec! Perfect!

• #10 by Jayne on November 11, 2012 - 09:54

Thank you! It is indeed an important blogging event and you are right its great to discover new bloggers through it!

6. #11 by Gerry @ Foodness Gracious on November 12, 2012 - 06:28

Apple crumble is such a comfort dessert, perfect for the moment :)

7. #12 by The Wimpy Vegetarian on November 12, 2012 - 06:44

Apple Crumble is one of my all-time comfort dishes. I just love it all year round. It’s the perfect dish for this them of wanting to offer comfort to the victims of Sandy’s devastation! Just perfect!