Swedish Cinnamon Buns for the Sunvil Supper Club

I was delighted to be asked to participate in the Sunvil Supper club for October (yes I realise its now November, time escapes me!) Sunvil is an award-winning travel operator offering holidays in some of the most amazing places, different places that you may not yet have traveled to such as the Azores, the Faroe islands or the Galapagos islands as well as numerous other destinations. I was even more delighted when I discovered the recipe was for Swedish cinnamon buns. I just love cinnamon buns, growing up in America cinnamon buns were a staple in our house. Typical of the era they were most often out of a can but boy did they taste good. As a child I so loved the Pillsbury dough man! Cinnamon buns are something that I always have when I find them on holiday but they are rare here, especially good ones.  Despite earmarking several recipes to make my own cinnamon buns I’ve never managed to overcome the fact that they contain yeast! The addition of yeast somehow put them into the fussy to make, hard category so cinnamon buns remained ever on my “to make” list.

Well I can cross them off that list now as I’ve made them and of course they were not hard at all! It was an easy dough to make, once risen you simply roll the dough and spread with the cinnamon butter mix. The dough is then rolled into a sausage shape and cut into rounds, interestingly you then place each round into a muffin case before rising again and finally baking. Although the recipe was very easy to follow  I don’t think I made them as perfectly as they should have been, they didn’t seem to rise as much as I thought they would. I wonder if I used the wrong yeast as the recipe doesn’t specify.  I had 3 helpers to eat them though and we all thought they were great! They were reminiscent but different to the huge, sweet cinnamon buns I grew up with. These were less sweet and a much more manageable size. I particularly liked the addition of cardamom. They partner up perfectly with a cup of coffee.

Swedish Cinnamon Buns

See here for the recipe to make these cinnamon buns

Thank you to Sunvil for inviting me to take part in the supper club and for providing me with the ingredients to make these buns.

1. #1 by Charlotte @charlottekdiary on November 17, 2012 - 13:57

These look fab, Jayne! I’ve never had buns out of a can – can you get them over here? x

• #2 by Jayne on November 17, 2012 - 15:15

Thanks! You can get croissants in a can here but not cinnamon buns. One day though as most things popular in America end up here eventually!

2. #3 by laura_howtocook on November 18, 2012 - 20:46

I must make these, knowing that I will love them i must give them a go. They must smell divine and taste wonderful. You must be pleased, they look lovely!

• #4 by Jayne on November 25, 2012 - 12:19

Thank you! Yes the smell is wonderful!

3. #5 by Urvashi Roe on November 18, 2012 - 20:49

These look stunning Jayne. Must give them a go

• #6 by Jayne on November 25, 2012 - 12:19

Thanks so much!

4. #7 by @Lavender and Lovage (@KarenBurnsBooth) on November 19, 2012 - 14:58

How lovely Jayne! I was asked to participate for Greece a few months ago, and it was such fun to receive the ingredients and cook a special recipe! Your lovely little buns look fabulous, and as my daughter was born on the 13th December, which is St Lucy’s day and is a Swedish festival, I sometimes make some bins that are very similar but with saffron in them! Karen

• #8 by Jayne on November 25, 2012 - 12:19

Thank you. I like the sound of the buns you make, saffron is an ingredient I often forget about.

5. #9 by Laura Loves Cakes on November 26, 2012 - 20:42

Like you, I do love a good cinnamon bun…and yours look great!! I recently went to Sweden and sampled a bun or two as well :-) I would have gladly been one of the helpers to eat these!

6. #10 by bakeaffairs on January 19, 2013 - 12:38