Roasted Red Pepper and Carrot soup

At this time of the year we are awash with recipes for soup. I have countless soup recipes on my “to make” list, yet still I seek more! Trying to get my husband to eat some/any vegetables is a constant trial. Vegetables blended in soup are my husband’s preferred way of eating vegetables, surprisingly even carrots. So when I saw this recipe I thought I was onto a winner. My version of that soup is a little more simple, I omitted the peanut butter to save a few calories. I find carrot soup verges on the over sweet for my taste so also left out the maple syrup. I prefer to use half coconut milk and half stock as I found all coconut milk added a little too much sweetness. I also like my soup a lot thinner so added more liquid.

This soup is so flavorful, extra sweet from roasting the peppers and carrots, the coconut milk adds another dimension to the flavour and for me the addition of chilli adds a punch of heat at the end. This soup is full of vitamin C and A and high in beta carotene all of which aid in boosting the immune system and are though to aid in the fight against cancer. At this time of the year, common for seasonal over indulgence its nice to have a quick, healthy meal up your sleeve.

Roasted Red Pepper and Carrot Soup (adapted from this recipe)

• 200 gram (7 oz) red peppers
  • 450 gram (I lb) carrots (preferably organic)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/2 can (200 ml) light coconut milk
  • 200 ml vegetable stock plus more for thinning, I use about an extra 2oo mls
  • 1 tsp chilli flakes ( or less to your taste)
  1. Preheat the oven to 200 c, 400 f, Gas mark 6.
  2. Peel and chop the carrots into chunks of around 1.5 inches and place onto a baking sheet.
  3. Remove the seeds from the peppers and slice into 4-6 largish slices. (I used the longer red peppers) and place onto the baking sheet with the carrots.
  4. Sprinkle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
  5. Roast for around 40 minutes until the carrots are soft enough to pierce easily with a knife and the peppers have started to shrink and darken at the edges.
  6. If you have a blender tip the roasted vegetables into it and add the coconut milk, stock and chilli flakes. Blend until all the ingredients are well mixed and the resulting soup is thick and creamy. If you don’t have a blender use  a stick/hand blender to blend all the ingredients in a saucepan the texture just wont be as smooth.
  7. Thin the soup with some more stock until you have the consistency you like.

, , , , , ,

1. #1 by Averie @ Averie Cooks on November 25, 2012 - 10:24

Im glad you liked my recipe and tried it with a few tweaks!

2. #2 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on November 25, 2012 - 23:16

Gorgeous recipe Jayne! I love soup, especially at this time of the year. I sneak Rice Milk into mine, but coconut milk is a great choice. I am going to bookmark this to try in January!

• #3 by Jayne on November 27, 2012 - 13:21

Thank you! I guess dont really get soup weather like we do huh?

3. #4 by Barbara | Creative Culinary on November 26, 2012 - 15:50

I made some carrot soup last year Jayne and no one was more surprised than me how much I liked it. Resulting from carrots that HAD to be used to one of my favorites! I also avoided red peppers for many years because I simply despised green ones. Big mistake and I’ve learned my lesson; this soup sounds divine.

• #5 by Jayne on November 27, 2012 - 13:24

Thank you! Gosh red peppers are so much nicer than green arent they? Carrot soup is so easy to make and I find it tastes quite different to how carrots usually taste, I would never get my husband to eat a carrot any other way!

4. #6 by laura_howtocook on November 26, 2012 - 19:28

A delicious sounding soup Jayne. Like you, I would not see the need nor the waste of calories in adding peanut butter to a soup. I also tend to add half quantities of coconut milk in a recipe or use the lower fat variety which seems to work fine too.
    This is certainly one I will be making. Love to try a new soup each week if I can!

• #7 by Jayne on November 27, 2012 - 13:27

Thanks! A new soup a week, thats an admirable mission! I love soup recipes, there is just no end of them!

5. #8 by Franglais kitchen on November 26, 2012 - 22:26

I really love the flavours in your soup. A nice mix of the carrots as a winter veg and some hint of warmer climes with the coconut milk and chilli.