Whole Orange Cake

Whole Orange cake madebyjayne.com

As I’m writing this it is -1 c and snowing,  I also have a day off!  Faced with a snowy day off thoughts naturally turned to cake! Id been planning to make marmalade today as Id found some lovely big Seville oranges but although the inspiration for today’s cake, they will have to wait for another day.

This simple orange cake uses a whole orange, olive oil and a little less sugar, its easy to make and bakes fast. I enjoyed a slice with coffee while watching our lovely snowy day but it would be equally good with some cream for a simple dessert. Using the whole orange gives a strong orange flavour with a hint of bitterness from the peel every now and then, but the cake is sweet enough so it really is only a hint.

Whole Orange Cake

• 1 orange
  • 100 ml olive oil
  • 130 grams caster sugar (I use unrefined)
  • 2 eggs
  • 140 grams plain flour
  • 70 grams ground almonds
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  1. Cover an orange with water in a pan and bring to the boil, simmer for 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle slice open and remove all pips. Puree in a food processor.
  2. Preheat oven to 175 C, 350 F, Gas 4 and grease and line an 8 inch cake tin.
  3. Add the olive oil and sugar to the orange puree, blend well.
  4. Add the eggs, one at a time mixing between each addition.
  5. Add all of the dry ingredients and gently mix until just incorporated.
  6. Pour into cake tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into The cake comes out dry.
  7. Cool for 30 minutes in the tin then turn out onto a cooling rack.

1. #1 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on January 18, 2013 - 15:48

Oh yes! I wonder if you boiled the orange for a bit longer if the bitterness (tiny bits) would lessen? This looks delish and I love that it is for one small cake–I might even try this one in a loaf pan. Thanks for posting!

• #2 by Jayne on January 18, 2013 - 16:55

Funny, I was also going to try using a loaf pan! Yes small cakes are a blessing sometimes!

2. #3 by Lizthechef on January 18, 2013 - 15:59

The navel oranges are just now ripening on our tree – I want to try your recipe as soon as they are ready. I love simple recipes that use the entire fruit.

• #4 by Jayne on January 18, 2013 - 16:56

How lovely to have your own supply of navel oranges. I believe it was a navel I used.

3. #5 by Laura Loves Cakes on January 21, 2013 - 19:51

A lovely recipe and I like the fact that it’s quick and easy. The reduced sugar and olive oil sounds tasty too…and maybe a little healthier for January! :-)

4. #6 by Coffee and Crumpets on January 23, 2013 - 03:23

Hi Jayne! I love all things with citrus, so I know I will love this cake. Sounds absolutely delicious and fragrant. Thank you for stopping by my site and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it and also now I have found your blog!

Nazneen

• #7 by Jayne on January 25, 2013 - 15:34

Thank you for stopping by here too!

5. #8 by Choclette on January 24, 2013 - 18:23

Your orange cake look gorgeous, such a lovely colour and flavour. Did you use a Seville orange?

• #9 by Jayne on January 25, 2013 - 15:33

Thank you! Its just a navel orange, wonder what a Seville orange would be like?

6. #10 by Liz on January 28, 2013 - 04:46