Lemon Brownies

Lemon Brownies madebyjayne.com

Lemon brownies, who knew? I recently came across them on Pinterest and couldn’t believe I had never heard of them! I love brownies and I love lemon, of course that would be a good combination, why hadn’t I thought of it before!  All the recipes I found were in cups so I did a bit of converting,  added a bit more lemon and made these to serve with coffee at Easter. They are so easy to make, I love cakes that come together quickly with the minimum of fuss and these certainly fit that bill.  I think I like them even more than chocolate brownies and my husband who doesn’t like brownies at all (imagine!) loved these! They are moist yet light and the lemon is strong without been overpowering, these are my new go to cake! Well they will be when I bake again!  I’m  having a baking break at the moment, all that baking is not good for a girls waistband!

Lemon Brownies

Ingredients

• 115 grams unsalted butter, softened
  • 150 grams caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 125 grams plain flour
  • 2 lemons, unwaxed if possible as you will need the zest

For the glaze

• 100 grams icing sugar
  • 2 tsp lemon zest
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice

Method

1. Preheat your oven to 180C, 350F, Gas 4. Grease and base line your brownie pan, the pan I use measures 11 x 9 inches.
  2. Zest and juice your lemons. You will need the zest of one of the lemons for the cake mix and a further 2 tsp of zest for the glaze. For the cake mix you will need 2 tbsp of juice and a further 2 tbsp for the glaze
  3. Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy.
  4. Add the eggs, one a time mixing between additions.
  5. Add the lemon zest and juice.
  6. Fold the flour into the wet mixture.
  7. Pour into your prepared baking pan and bake for around 25 minutes until the top is golden and it is cooked through.
  8. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
  9. To make the glaze simply mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice and zest.
  10. Spread the glaze over the brownie and cut into squares.

, , ,

1. #1 by Charlotte @charlottekdiary on April 19, 2013 - 11:28

How amazing Jayne. I’ve never even heard of these before but they look and sound incredible. I hope to try them soon (am trying to be on a baking break at the moment, too!)

• #2 by Jayne on April 19, 2013 - 11:53

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who hadn’t heard of them! They are so good, I wish I could have one now!

2. #3 by Liz on April 19, 2013 - 14:29

Who knew indeed? ;-) They look lovely and make me think of spring. Your photo is spot-on with the pretty yellow! Love the polka dot napkin.

• #4 by Jayne on April 19, 2013 - 18:44

I’m such a novice where photography is concerned, thanks for your lovely comment!

3. #5 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on April 19, 2013 - 16:09

I have never made these either Jayne! I’ll have to give these a go, my Andy doesn’t care for brownies either (I stil can’t get over that….).

• #6 by Jayne on April 19, 2013 - 18:45

Wow another non brownie loving Andy, unbelievable! Wonder if he too would like the lemon ones?

4. #7 by Barb | Creative Culinary on April 19, 2013 - 16:58

I do have to wonder why they aren’t called ‘Yellowies’ though Jayne? But then I say it and I know. :)

I LOVE lemon…these will be done and soon!

• #8 by Jayne on April 19, 2013 - 18:47

“Yellowies” lol! They are good, let me know if you do make them!

5. #9 by Lizthechef on April 19, 2013 - 18:11

Wow, I can’t wait to put some of my Meyer lemons into this recipe!

• #10 by Jayne on April 19, 2013 - 18:48

I thought they would be good with Meyer lemons! Alas no more available here but I will try when they return!

6. #11 by Laura Smith on April 20, 2013 - 01:16

Jayne–I have mathitis..it is so hard :( how do I convert grams into teaspoons/tablespoons/cups ? these look amazing I am crazy for lemon :)

• #12 by Jayne on April 20, 2013 - 11:19

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting, conversions are such a pain aren’t they? Here are the conversions.

For the Lemon Brownies

1 stick of butter
      3/4 cup sugar
      3/4 cup flour

For the glaze

3/4 cup powdered sugar

7. #13 by Medeja on April 21, 2013 - 12:25

I must try these :) I have too many lemons that were just unused waiting in the fridge :)

8. #14 by Sophie33 on May 2, 2013 - 16:23

A very creative & tasty recipe, I believe! Yum Yum yum!