Couldn’t be easier Cheese and Cherry Tomato Canapes

Couldnt be easier Cheese and Tomato Canapes madebyjayne.com

My posts are so infrequent at the moment one would be forgiven for wondering if I have stopped eating! Truth is I’m doing my first Whole 30 and although its going well (I’m on day 27!) I have found myself in the pattern of eating pretty much the same few meals on rotation, although it is a little boring its made my life the last month easier.

I made these canapes for guests at Easter and luckily remembered to take a picture, admittedly only when all the best looking ones had been eaten! So apologies for my “keeping it real” themed picture!

These canapes are just the easiest thing ever! Just 3 ingredients, it’s hardly even a recipe. I saw the idea in a magazine advertisement years ago and I have made them ever since when I want to produce a quick canape that tastes good and looks like I’ve made an effort. The original recipe called for Port Salut cheese, a mild semi soft French cheese made from cows milk. It used to be easy enough to get in the UK but this time I had to go to 2 supermarkets to find mine. If you can’t get hold of Port Salut, I think Muenster or Gouda work instead.

Couldn’t be Easier Cheese and Cherry Tomato Canapes

Ingredients

• 1 pack puff pastry
  • 1 tbsp of butter, melted
  • 2 packs of Port Salut cheese, cut into thin slices
  • 12 cherry tomatoes, each sliced in half
  • Fresh ground black pepper

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 220 C, 425 F, Gas 7. Grease a mini tart tin with the melted butter.
  2. Roll out the puff pastry and using a small cutter cut out 24 circles.
  3. Put the pastry circles into the mini tart tin, pushing the pastry down to line the bottoms of the tin.
  4. Place a slice of cheese into each pastry round. some of the slices cut at the wider end of the cheese will need trimming to fit into the pastry.
  5. Top each piece of cheese with a cherry tomato half.
  6. Give each tart a grind of black pepper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry has browned, some of the tomatoes will be starting to caramelise. You can at this stage take out the browner ones leaving the rest to cook a little more, I find they never cook evenly.
  7. Place onto a serving platter and serve at room temperature.

, , ,

1. #1 by Lizthechef on April 30, 2013 - 16:20

Genius! I love puff pastry, so easy yet so impressive. I haven’t heard of Port Salut cheese since I was a kid and my Dad loved it -

• #2 by Jayne on May 1, 2013 - 13:25

Thank you, I only ever used to have Port Salut at Christmas!

2. #3 by Choclette on April 30, 2013 - 20:45

What a super idea Jayne. I can imagine how tasty these are – especially as I’m on a fast day. They look really pretty too, so an ideal party food.

• #4 by Jayne on May 1, 2013 - 13:26

Thnak you! Hope your fast day went well, kudos to you, I tried that and didnt like it at all!

3. #5 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on April 30, 2013 - 23:52

Fabulous for a party indeed! Port Salut cheese is available here at our local market–I am sure Brie or Camenbert would be wonderful substitutions too my friend.

• #6 by Jayne on May 1, 2013 - 13:27

Thanks Wendy! I love Brie and Camembert, good idea!

4. #7 by Liz on May 2, 2013 - 06:23

You’re almost 30–congrats :-) Would you recommend?

Loving your recipe–so pretty and so simple.

• #8 by Jayne on May 2, 2013 - 13:46

Thank you! Ive loved my Whole 30 experience, I feel great and found it much easier than I expected. I would highly recommend it!

5. #9 by nazima on May 3, 2013 - 11:26

lovely idea Jayne. I think any canape involving port salut must be super! Interested to read about the whole 30 program thanks for that as have not heard of it

• #10 by Jayne on May 3, 2013 - 19:18

Thank you for stopping by!

6. #11 by thehungrymum on May 7, 2013 - 12:29

loving these! Perfect picnic food.

7. #12 by Charlotte @charlottekdiary on May 8, 2013 - 13:35

These look amazing Jayne – so easy too. I’ll give these a go for a drinks party soon – I imagine I will have to make double quantities!!