Cauliflower Rice

Cauliflower Rice madebyjayne.com

This is a new (to me) way of serving cauliflower. I had seen the term “cauliflower rice” used by foodies on twitter and initially thought it was cauliflower and rice! A little more investigation proved that it was a completely different way to serve cauliflower! The cauliflower is blitzed in a food processor until it resembles rice (more like bulgur if you ask me but it is small!). It wasn’t until I began my Whole30 that I decided to give Cauliflower Rice a try as a different vegetable side dish. Its fabulous and now my favourite way to serve cauliflower! There is something much more satisfying about the texture of cauliflower served like this to those of us avoiding carb side dishes, it really is like eating a bulgur/ cous cous type dish.

I had read that cauliflower prepared this way bears no resemblance to cauliflower at all. I decided to try this out and made it without telling my brassica hating husband what it was, I thought the smell may give it away as there was a definite brassica hint but my husband didn’t seem to notice and was fooled into tasting it! I can’t say he was all that impressed but even he had to admit that he didn’t know it was cauliflower and I can’t believe he tried it, I think with even more herbs he may be tempted to try it again!  I’ve tried adding various herb combinations and all have been good, it’s even good just straight up with garlic and onion.

If  like me you are dining on this alone it freezes and reheats well.

Cauliflower Rice

• 1 medium cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed
  • salt and fresh ground pepper
  • (optional) herbs of your choice

flavour combinations

• 1 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tsp  fresh lemon thyme leaves
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander and 1/2 a chopped red chilli
  • 1 tbsp chopped chives

1. Put the cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is in tiny pieces, this takes about 20 seconds (honestly!)
  2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and quickly stir until fragrant.
  3. Add the cauliflower pieces to the onions, turn down the heat a little and stir well.
  4. Cover and stirring occasionally cook for around 5- 10 minutes until the cauliflower has softened but retains some bite.
  5. Add any herbs you may be using, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

, , , ,

1. #1 by lizthechef on May 24, 2013 - 18:25

This is perfect for my diet and cauliflower is Larry’s favorite veg – love this, Jayne – you should enter it in a cooking contest!

• #2 by Jayne on May 24, 2013 - 19:06

Why thank you so much Liz! Your comment made my day! It is perfect diet food by the way, even better is it doesn’t taste like diet food!

2. #3 by Chez Foti on May 24, 2013 - 19:17

I saw lots of buzz about Cauliflower rice recently on Twitter too, but have yet to try it! Who’d have thought it…well who did actually?! Must try out, sounds very tasty and exceedingly healthy! Inspiring.

• #4 by Jayne on May 25, 2013 - 21:44

Yes I wonder who did originally think of it? I’m glad they did though! Thanks for commenting!

3. #5 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on May 24, 2013 - 19:38

I adore Califlower any way that it is prepared :) Yours looks incredibly good Jayne! I am pinning for later!!

• #6 by Jayne on May 25, 2013 - 21:44

Thank you Wendy!

4. #7 by Choclette on May 24, 2013 - 20:41

I think you’ve finally convinced me on this one Jayne. I’ve seen quite a bit about this on Twitter, but remained dubious. I shall get a nice Cornish cauliflower (which are in abundance right now) and give it a go.

• #8 by Jayne on May 25, 2013 - 21:45

Great idea to use a Cornish cauliflower, love keeping it local! Thanks for commenting!

5. #9 by Liz on May 25, 2013 - 00:41

love that cauliflower is so versatile. Looks like tons of fun. Have you also pureed? Can make it creamy with just a touch of milk or light sour cream. Thanks for a great recipe and also great photo :-) glad you got your husband to at least try–always consider that a victory here!

• #10 by Jayne on May 25, 2013 - 21:48

I’ve never puréed, great idea! Thanks. It’s always a victory here when husband at least tries a healthier dish!

• #11 by Liz on May 26, 2013 - 04:27

yes, pureed. tell your husband it’s mashed potatoes ;-)

6. #12 by Sophie33 on May 25, 2013 - 22:40

Yummm! A very unusual but tasty looking dish! Apart!

7. #14 by Charlotte @charlottekdiary on May 27, 2013 - 12:21

I love this idea Jayne – I plan to make to as a side to accompany some home made dal next week!

• #15 by Jayne on May 27, 2013 - 20:33

Thank you! I love dal, what a good idea!

8. #16 by laura_howtocook on May 27, 2013 - 20:21

Wow Jayne, I love the sound of this and I will be making it just as you do but will be adding cumin seeds to it as I love them with cauliflower. This is a real revelation and one I know I will cook regularly!

• #17 by Jayne on May 27, 2013 - 20:32

Thank you! I love the idea of cumin seeds, I will try that next time!

9. #18 by cooking rookie on May 28, 2013 - 22:01

Made this, was really nice! And practically calorie free :-). This recipe is a keeper. Thank you, Jane!

• #19 by Jayne on May 29, 2013 - 19:29

Brilliant! Thank you for letting me know, Im so glad you liked it!

10. #20 by Nazima franglaiskitchen on June 6, 2013 - 20:10

Oooh Jayne just seen this and I’ve made something similar – I’ve heard it called cauliflower couscous! Will link to your post as I only published mine yesterday!

• #21 by Jayne on June 6, 2013 - 21:06

Look forward to seeing your recipe!

11. #22 by kdub5 on July 6, 2013 - 05:44

How many servings does this make? Thanks!

• #23 by Jayne on July 8, 2013 - 10:56

The cauliflower I used was medium/large and made 4 servings. Thanks for stopping by!

1. Goal Update | Choosing Inexpressible Joy