Avocado Salsa Salad

Avocado Salsa Salad madebyjayne.com

Another day, another salad! I admit to feeling a little lost once my Whole30 ended and after a weekend break from it I did another 20 days as my all or nothing personality can follow the rules of something as strict as the Whole30 but once off it goes completely the other way! I clearly did not get rid of my sugar demon in 30 days! I have found that Paleo food suits me and the rules keep me on the right track, maybe one day I will kick that sweet tooth! So its back to salads for lunch but I will admit that one can have their fill of leaves!

When doing the Whole30 avocado was on the list of foods to eat, such a treat! Wanting to make a leaf free salad for a change and finding a lonesome lime in the fridge led to this salsa-ish type of salad. Very un-salsa like I added a few mushrooms just to add a little meatiness, also just because I had them. I will admit it may have been a strange combination but I really enjoyed this salad, it was quick and easy to prepare and travels well to work in a Tupperware. It goes well with an omelette, prawns or chicken.

Avocado Salsa Salad

ingredients (makes 2 servings)

• 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
  • 1/2 red onion, diced fairly small
  • 1/2 chilli (add less if you don’t like too much heat), diced finely
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped
  • cucumber about 4-5 inches, chopped
  • 3  mushrooms (optional), chopped
  • coriander leaves, just a few roughly chopped.
  • juice of half a lime
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

1. Chop all of the vegetables and add to a bowl.
  2. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and pour over the vegetables stirring to coat.
  3. Leave to sit for a little while before serving.

, , , ,

1. #1 by Lizthechef on June 29, 2013 - 16:21

Sometimes, the simplest combo of ingredients makes the tastiest salad – lovely for summer.

• #2 by Jayne on June 29, 2013 - 17:33

Thank you, yes sometimes simple is just the thing!

2. #3 by Barb | Creative Culinary on June 29, 2013 - 16:35

Just the perfect salad…we are starting to get some beautiful tomatoes and I could eat this every day!

• #4 by Jayne on June 29, 2013 - 17:35

Thanks Barb! I see you are in the middle of a heatwave, tomatoes will love that! We are behind in lovely tomatoes due to our slow start to summer, hopefully they will be here soon.

3. #5 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on June 29, 2013 - 17:13

Just gorgeous! We are so lucky in Florida that we get gorgeous avocados most of the year :) Simple and a must try for me!

• #6 by Jayne on June 29, 2013 - 17:37

Thank you! You are lucky to get avocados, ours are always imported and rarely ripe. They are still one of my favourite things though!

4. #7 by Liz on June 29, 2013 - 19:41

wow–that looks lovely :-) Am always glad to find a new avocado recipe, and bonus points if it uses cilantro. Huge fan of marinated veggie salads, which is exactly what this is. Can see how the mushrooms would work well. Great recipe!

A word about that sweet tooth: I’ve stopped trying to kick mine. Can’t seem to beat it, so I let it be and feed it when it needs feeding. Yes, it still gets me in trouble every now and again, but it’s easier to be at peace with it. Just a thought ;-) If you’re balancing it out with smashing veggie salads like this one, you’re totally doing a-ok :-)

• #8 by Jayne on July 2, 2013 - 06:52

Thanks so much for commenting! I do agree that I may be fighting a losing battle trying to slay my sweet tooth!

5. #9 by Charlotte @charlottekdiary on July 1, 2013 - 20:22

This looks amazing Jayne – love the sound of this recipe!

• #10 by Jayne on July 2, 2013 - 06:52

Thank you Charlotte!

6. #11 by http://sharemykitchen.com/ on April 15, 2014 - 23:48

This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I have found something that helped me.
    Thank you!