Basel Tart

Basel Tart madebyjayne.com

I was invited to take part in Titan Travel’s June supper club. The recipe for the month was Basel Tart, a cheese and onion tart originating in Basel, one of the many destinations that Titan Travel go to. Basel is on the banks of the Rhine in North West Switzerland. I’ve not been to Basel but it looks lovely, with lovely river scenes and many museums and theatres.

Basel tart is a big, satisfying tart. Its made with onions and bacon that are caramelised before adding Gruyère cheese.  I thought that I didn’t like Gruyère but actually I really enjoyed this! Rosemary and coriander are the herbal additions to Basel tart, not herbs that I would usually put together but they flavour this tart perfectly. This is a great tart for a crowd or maybe for a picnic.

Basel Tart

• 470 grams plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 120 grams butter
  • 100 ml cold water
  • 60 grams butter
  • 6 onions, sliced
  • pinch salt
  • 80 grams bacon, smoked preferably
  • 470 ml milk
  • 75 grams plain flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 450 grams Gruyère cheese (I used just under 400 grams which worked fine)
  • 2 sprigs rosemary
  • 2 tbsp chopped coriander

For the directions to make Basel tart see this link at Titan Travel

I had a lot of left over pastry from this recipe, handy for another time! I used less cheese than suggested as the supermarket I used sold Gruyère in 200 gram packs and strangely only had 2 left the day I shopped!  I needed to cook my tart for a further 40 minutes than the suggested  cooking time.

1. #1 by lizthechef on July 8, 2013 - 15:39

This reminds me of a quiche…Looks rich and tempting!

• #2 by Jayne on July 8, 2013 - 21:44

It’s just like quiche Liz!

2. #3 by Liz on July 8, 2013 - 15:51

Ah, but it must be the bacon that is tying everything together, Jayne :-) Looks tasty and rich and amazing. Thanks for sharing. Will you return to the supper club? Sounds like great fun!

• #4 by Jayne on July 8, 2013 - 21:45

Yes the bacon does add that special something! The supper club is a great idea, lets see if Im invited back!

3. #5 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on July 9, 2013 - 01:44

Yes, this reminds me of a lovely French quiche too with bacon instead of ham, love the flavors of rosemary and coriander too….Your photo looks so tempting and yummy!

• #6 by Jayne on July 9, 2013 - 11:46

Thanks Wendy, you are too kind – the photo was a very rushed effort Im afraid!

4. #7 by katie zeller on July 11, 2013 - 19:17

I love tarts – but we finally have summer so it will be a bit before I turn the oven on again. And I happen to love Gruyere (and bacon)

• #8 by Jayne on July 12, 2013 - 08:56

We finally have summer here too, hoping its a long term event this year!

5. #9 by mala on July 13, 2013 - 23:08

In Basel’s Swiss German this tart is called Ziibelewaie (pronounced Tzeebalawihee) and we eat it most during carnival in February! It’s best served with a salad and in winter with a Mählsuppe (a flour soup, which for Non-Baslers might taste a bit strange) Cheers from Basel!

• #10 by Jayne on July 14, 2013 - 16:37

Thanks so much for your informative comment! Salad is the perfect thing to enjoy it with!