Courgette (Zucchini) Relish

Courgette/Zucchiini Relish madebyjayne.com

It’s that time of the year again, the sun is shining and the courgettes/zucchini just keep on coming! This relish has become one of my yearly summer recipes to get rid of use up a few of the many courgettes that come my way! I’ve tried various recipes over the last few summers and this is a combination of those.

It makes a sweet relish that goes well in any sandwich containing meat or cheese, it would be perfect with hotdogs if you eat them.  These days I don’t eat hotdogs but loved them growing up in America and even more so I loved the (bright green!) relish that we had with them. I believe we used to have Heinz sweet relish, something I’ve only found once in the UK.  My label reading habit would now have me leaving it on the shelf if I did find it again and anyhow this version of relish is just as sweet but a whole lot more natural!  When the last jar gets finished, usually at the beginning of Spring I find myself feeling a little sad and believe it or not I momentarily begin to look forward to the courgette glut again just to make more of this relish!

Courgette/Zucchini Relish

• 3 lb grated courgettes
  • 1.5 lbs peeled and finely chopped onion
  • 3 oz salt
  • 2 red peppers (or 1 red, 1 green)
  • 590 mls white vinegar
  • 2.5 lbs sugar (I use unrefined)
  • 1.5 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp mustard seed
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp black pepper

1. Grate the courgettes and finely chop the onions ( I use a food processor for this, much easier if you have one). Put both the courgettes and the onions in a large bowl and sprinkle with the salt, mix the salt evenly throughout, its easiest to just use your hands here! Cover and leave for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight in the fridge although beware of leaving it in the fridge as the onions smell very strongly.
  2. Drain the courgettes and onion in a colander, rinse well with cold water then squeeze out the excess water, again hands are best for this!
  3. Put the chopped peppers, vinegar,sugar and spices into a large pan, stir well.
  4. Add the drained courgettes and onion. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
  5. Carefully fill your sterilised jars with the relish. Screw on the lids and process for 10 minutes in a water bath. If unsure of canning procedures see here

Tip

You will get 5-7 jars of relish depending on your jar size.

1. #1 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on August 15, 2013 - 13:37

Oh yes! LOVE Relish :) We used to buy the Heinz India Relish, alas now too, I make my own. Your recipe looks so tasty Jayne and gorgeous pic too!

• #2 by Jayne on August 15, 2013 - 16:48

Thanks Wendy, ah the good ol days!

2. #3 by Lizthechef on August 15, 2013 - 15:32

I make relish year round, using a version of Mrs. Wheelbarrow’s recipe. Folks seem to love it – I know we do. Will try your recipe next time.

• #4 by Jayne on August 15, 2013 - 16:47

Yes, Mrs Wheelbarrow’s recipe was the first one I tried! Although I use zucchini rather than cucumbers

3. #5 by katiezeller on August 17, 2013 - 19:32

I haven’t made relish in years – and never with courgette. Great recipe, thanks!

• #6 by Jayne on August 18, 2013 - 18:20

Thanks for commenting! I wanted to make relish and had so many courgettes I decided to use those rather than cucumbers, was curious to see how it worked. I’m glad I did as it works well!

4. #7 by Charlotte @charlottekdiary on August 17, 2013 - 19:38

This sounds amazing Jayne! I have never tried this before but am really interested to! Another fab recipe : )

• #8 by Jayne on August 18, 2013 - 18:17

Thanks for your comment, it is a great way to use up some courgettes and does taste really good!

5. #9 by Liz on August 19, 2013 - 06:07

wow–tasty and so pretty :-) Love the colors of summer produce. Keeper recipe for sure. I think I’d just eat it straight from the jar!

• #10 by Jayne on August 19, 2013 - 08:37

Thank you! It is sweet enough to eat from the jar!

6. #11 by Monica on September 6, 2013 - 10:35

I am DYING to make this. I don’t have proper canning equipment, though. How long do you think it’ll keep without the water bath?

• #12 by Jayne on September 6, 2013 - 10:53

In UK canning isn’t so popular- my friends that make jam & chutney keep their stuff for around a year without canning- they are all healthy! I don’t have much equipment, just use my stockpot to do my canning, works well! Thanks for commenting!

• #13 by Monica on September 6, 2013 - 11:28