Runner Bean Salad

Runner bean salad madebyjayne.com

It’s that glorious time of summer gluts from keen vegetable growers, everything arrives at once at the moment and in large quantities! This is less of a recipe and more of an idea. I was given a large bag of runner beans, I like runner beans but have never done anything with them other than boil or steam them. I dutifully blanched and froze some but still had a lot left so I steamed a few and dressed them simply with olive oil salt and pepper, they were delicious served immediately but I found I enjoyed them even more cold as a salad the next day, they are seriously good! I ate nothing but a bowl of these for lunch!

You will see there are no quantities, just use however many beans you have and dress to taste. This really is just an idea that worked so well I wanted to share it here.     This keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days, I prefer it a room temperature.

Runner Bean Salad

• runner beans, topped ,tailed and washed
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • fresh ground pepper and sea salt

1. Cut the runner beans to bite size pieces then steam until tender.
  2. Drizzle with olive oil, enough so that all the beans get a good coating.
  3. Season with fresh ground pepper and sea salt.
  4. Eat right away or serve as a salad at room temperature.

, , , ,

1. #1 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on August 31, 2013 - 13:39

I love summer salads like this! I add boiled potatoes and fried onions to mine too…one of my favs :)

• #2 by Jayne on August 31, 2013 - 20:18

Yum love the fried onion idea!

2. #3 by Lizthechef on August 31, 2013 - 16:10

Such a nice change from lettuce salads that get kind of boring…

• #4 by Jayne on August 31, 2013 - 20:19

Thanks Liz! Lettuce does indeed become tiresome, especially towards the end of summer!

3. #5 by Liz on August 31, 2013 - 16:51

hey, I’m right next to the other Liz again! :-) This salad looks like it would make a wonderful lunch. Brilliant to take a cooked veg and turn it into a chilled salad. Simple things like this are my favorites. It’s all well and good to throw a bunch of ingredients together (and admittedly, those dishes can be phenomenal), but reality says we only have so much time in the kitchen, so why not use it to make healthy and pretty and tasty dishes like this? Good call on this one for sure.

• #6 by Jayne on August 31, 2013 - 20:21

Thanks Liz, simple is sometimes just the thing! So funny how you and Liz are so often right next to each other. I’m grateful to you both for taking the time to comment.

4. #7 by Monica on September 6, 2013 - 10:34

Right, I have loads of runner beans and this is totally detox friendly. Think I’ll mix it up with some french beans, too, and knowing me I won’t be able to resist some fresh herbs. Dinner tonight – look out for it!

• #8 by Jayne on September 6, 2013 - 10:54

I’m sure your version will be the next one I make, look forward to it!