Blackberry Oat Muffins

Blackberry Oat Muffins madebyjayne.com

Like it or not in these parts of the world summer seems to have given over to autumn. There is a distinct chill to that breeze and the sun is sitting a little lower, not to mention those darker mornings! I’m not too sad though as autumn brings its own treats, one of which is blackberries! There are lots of blackberries around at the moment, certainly you can buy them but the ones I find a real treat are the free ones found in so many hedgerows! It’s so lovely to pick your own blackberries if you can find them. This is something I did very recently, I ended up with quite a few blackberries and I cooked some with apples but the rest made it into these muffins.

I have been trying to focus more on salad than cake recently but these blackberries needed using so combining together a couple of recipes I tried to make these a little healthier, I used the most unrefined sugar I could, they only have 1 egg and use a small amount of olive oil rather than butter. I know, who am I kidding? Muffins are not a health food but I like to think this recipe is slightly healthier than some muffin recipes! I will update here as next time I’m making these I will try wholemeal flour and less sugar.

I like making muffins as they are so easy, not too much mixing is required so a good old bowl and wooden spoon will do here, just mix together the dry ingredients, then the wet and add together. It’s as easy as that! These muffins were lovely and light, nice and cinnamony with little bursts of delicious blackberries. In 30 minutes you have a lovely autumn treat!

Blackberry Oat Muffins

• 175 grams self-raising flour
  • 50 grams porridge oats (I used old-fashioned, larger oats)
  • 140 light muscodavo sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 150 ml buttermilk
  • 90 ml olive oil plus a little for greasing tin
  • 150 grams blackberries, rinsed

1. Preheat your oven to 200 C, 400 F, Gas 6. Grease a muffin tin with a little olive oil and place a muffin case in each one.
  2. Put the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and baking soda into a bowl and mix together.
  3. In a separate bowl beat together the egg, buttermilk and oil.
  4. Lightly mix  the wet mixture into the flour mixture.
  5. Gently fold in the blackberries.
  6. Divide between the prepared muffin cases and bake for 20 -25 minutes.

, , ,

1. #1 by Wendy Read (@Sunchowder) on September 15, 2013 - 14:26

Recipe looks lovely :) I would like to try this with my gluten free flour mix, hoping it will come out similar. Our blackberry season has come and gone….enjoy the cooler weather, it is still an inferno over here!

• #2 by Jayne on September 15, 2013 - 16:29

Gluten free would be good! I will have to try that too! An inferno- I can only dream!

2. #3 by Barb | Creative Culinary on September 15, 2013 - 23:18

I love salads with berries…but I love cake with berries MORE!

We’re having an autumn moment but as much as we always long for more moisture this week has been unbelievable with more rainfall than Colorado typically gets in a year. Hoping those weather guys are right…80’s starting Wednesday. Please??

• #4 by Jayne on September 16, 2013 - 13:01

Berries and cake were made for each other right? I sure hope the rain does stop for you over there, seen the floods on the news it looks terrible! Stay safe, thanks for stopping by!

3. #5 by Liz on September 16, 2013 - 04:39

sounds delish :-) I’m all over blackberries and new muffin recipes are always fun. Agree that autumn is on it’s way, like it or no. (I don’t only because winter follows quickly, then stays for far too long her in Minnesota.) Muffins are one treat that will definitely make things better.

• #6 by Jayne on September 16, 2013 - 13:10

I also don’t love the arrival of autumn but his year I’m kind of enjoying it! You do get lots of lovely snow in Minnesota, I’d enjoy that! Thanks for your comment!

4. #7 by katiezeller on September 26, 2013 - 19:45

And, as a former Minnesotan, the falls there are particularly lovely. But here I have blackberries…. I’ve just been picking and eating. Now I’ll have to see if I have enough left to do something with – love oat – berry muffins.

• #8 by Jayne on September 27, 2013 - 17:49

Blackberries are such a treat aren’t they? You didn’t get them in Minnesota?