Blood Orange Cake

Blood Orange Cake madebyjayne.com

What a long break from blogging I’ve had, (did anyone notice, haha)! I often go longer than I mean to between posts although long ago gave up trying to keep up with all the bloggers that post without fail each week (or each day)! However this was a long break even for me. After a fabulous holiday spent in Vermont where I completely forgot about everything and all routine went out of the window I was left wondering if  there was a recipe left in me, I had no inspiration at all, until the discovery of this season’s blood oranges put me back on track!

I think part of the reason for my lack of inspiration is that I’m caught with that January feeling that I should be eating more healthily but not wanting to, then wondering what’s wrong with me that I have so little control! My head is a busy place this month! Anyone else feel the same or are you all diligently watching what you are eating? Kudos to you if you are! I am pretty much a rule follower but hate been told what to do so I think all the articles and constant talk of diets makes me rebel, after all isn’t January depressing enough? So for those rebels out there I offer you cake in January! For those avoiding cake, I’m sorry save this recipe and healthy new year recipes will resume!

I was so happy to come across the first of the blood oranges but then typically a few sat in the fruit bowl which led me to make this blood orange cake, a simple cake made with olive oil. Using olive oil eliminates the need to soften butter, which in colder climates can take quite a while! I based my cake on the Lemon Olive Oil cake that I make regularly. That cake is such a success so I thought I would swap blood orange juice for the lemon. I didn’t have yoghurt available so made my own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice to 125 mls of milk. This cake is not fancy, it’s just the right sort of plain with a simple blood orange syrup topping it. I like a slice with a cup of coffee but it would be great served with ice-cream as a dessert!

I wont pretend this is healthy in any way but it is good!

Blood Orange Cake

• 250 grams sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 125 ml buttermilk
  • 100 ml olive oil
  • 250 grams self-raising flour
  • zest and juice of 3 blood oranges, reserve the juice for the syrup

for the glaze

• 60 grams sugar
  • 100 ml blood orange juice

1. Grease and base line an 8 inch cake tin (I used a silicone one this time). Preheat oven to 350 F, 180 C, Gas 4.
  2. Whisk together the sugar and eggs.
  3. Mix in the buttermilk.
  4. Add the olive oil and blood orange zest.
  5. Fold in the flour.
  6. Pour mixture into cake tin.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean when inserted into middle of cake.
  8. While cake is baking make the syrup by putting the blood orange juice and sugar into a small sauce pan and heat until the sugar has melted, remove from the heat and leave until needed.
  9. When the cake is baked, take from the oven and while still hot prick cake surface with a toothpick and pour the blood orange syrup over the cake. Leave to cool in the tin.

blood oranges madebyjayne.com

, , , ,

1. #1 by bakeaffairs on January 20, 2014 - 13:15

Welcome back Jayne! This cake looks delicious – so it was well worth to wait!

• #2 by Jayne on January 21, 2014 - 06:51

Thank you so much!

2. #3 by Liz on January 20, 2014 - 15:10

looks fantastic! Love the pretty pictures.

• #4 by Jayne on January 21, 2014 - 06:50

Thanks Liz! Blood oranges are so pretty aren’t they?

3. #5 by Lizthechef on January 20, 2014 - 16:10

I love simple cake recipes – they appeal to me so much and are perfect for something sweet but not too-too. Love anything with citrus like this.

• #6 by Jayne on January 21, 2014 - 06:46

Citrus cakes are my favorite! I’m also not the biggest frosting fan so simple cakes are more my thing!

4. #7 by singingculinista on January 20, 2014 - 16:14

You made me chuckle out loud. Most of those bloggers (including me) who blog regularly are using their blog for income and for many I think it shows. I love that you blog from the heart. I hope I always stay on course with blogging about what I love, not just what is popular but I do have to keep with 3 a week or lose income. I’ve seen the drop since I moved and I’m OK with that and I promise you will not see me put an Oreo inside a brownie to try and generate traffic to make up for it. :) Good Morning!! (or I guess afternoon for you huh?) Barb Barbara Kiebel PH: 303 741-2535 Kinetic Webs, LLC Website: http://www.kineticwebs.com Creative Culinary Website: http://www.creative-culinary.com Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/creativculinary

_____

• #8 by Jayne on January 21, 2014 - 06:45

I have to fit blogging in around a full time job out of the house so just can’t give it any more time. That aside though I just don’t have enough ideas for posts! I am in awe of you aiming for 3 posts a week!

5. #9 by Wendy Read on January 20, 2014 - 18:32

Great idea to swap out lemon for blood orange! The oranges you got were gorgeous, very similar to the one my friend grows here :) Gorgeous recipe Jayne.

• #10 by Jayne on January 21, 2014 - 06:42

Thanks Wendy! Blood oranges are so pretty aren’t they?

6. #11 by Choclette on February 23, 2014 - 21:18

Aren’t blood oranges wonderful. This is the first year I’ve ever been able to get hold of any. I really like simple cakes like this, although with blood oranges it is definitely not plain.

• #12 by Jayne on March 21, 2014 - 22:25

I just love blood oranges! Thanks for stopping by!