Banana Olive Oil Muffins

Banana Olive Oil muffins madebyjayne

Easy, peasy, that’s what these are! If you have over-ripe bananas, in under 30 minutes you can have a rack of delicious banana muffins!

I began freezing over-ripe bananas a while ago. It was a revelation to me that you could just throw whole bananas in the freezer! The bananas do defrost to a gross mush but that just makes mashing them easier. I was looking in the freezer recently and found frozen bananas all over the place! Turns out I had 19 frozen bananas! I defrosted 3 bananas out to make my usual banana bread only to discover I had no butter!  I’m a fan of baking with oil rather than butter as it adds a great texture so I thought Id try replacing the butter with olive oil.  As I was changing things I thought Id try muffins rather than a loaf.

These banana olive oil muffins are a great alternative to banana bread. Using oil rather than butter worked so well I will stick to that! They are quicker to cook than a loaf and are easily portable in their own cases, making a great lunch box addition. They are also really versatile, I think I will add raisins next time. What do you like in your banana muffin?

Banana Olive Oil Muffins

• 150 grams plain flour
  • 100 grams caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 80 ml olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 190 C, 375 F, Gas 5. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. A fairy cake pan works too!
  2. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, ( flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon).
  3. Combine the beaten egg, mashed bananas and olive oil, fold into the dry ingredients until just combined.
  4. Fill each paper liner about half full and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
  5. Cool on a wire rack, store in an airtight tin.

, , ,

1. #1 by Liz on May 10, 2014 - 21:20

fantastic! Love that you had 19 frozen bananas–sounds like my kind of overstock ;-) This is a great idea–how original to use olive oil for the fat. You’re totally making do :-D

I love me some banana bread and think it’s fun to use bourbon for part of the liquid. No raisins for me, thanks.

• #2 by Jayne on May 12, 2014 - 13:29

There were bananas everywhere! Id be in such trouble with those I bake for if I added bourbon!

2. #3 by lizthechef on May 10, 2014 - 23:46

I use canola olive instead of butter – and throw in some nuts.

• #4 by Jayne on May 12, 2014 - 13:27

Nuts seem to be popular in muffins, no one I make muffins for is a fan of nuts in cakes sadly!

3. #5 by Wendy Read on May 11, 2014 - 14:32

I also use canola oil and my favorite nut to pair with banana is walnut! These look so good–I have a recipe that also calls for sour cream –yes, makes them even richer!

• #6 by Jayne on May 12, 2014 - 13:27

Im also a fan of using sour cream in baking!

4. #7 by Barb | Creative Culinary on May 12, 2014 - 19:17

I too have a freezer with a lot of brown bananas; sort of makes me wonder if I ever eat them when I buy them. This is the best use for them and I love the idea of muffins instead of bread. Better to freeze for later my dear. :)