Posts Tagged courgette recipe
Its National Cupcake week here! If ever there was a week to take part in and celebrate surely this is it! I can only imagine the fancy cupcakes people are going to make this week!
I too have books filled with decorative little masterpieces. I wish that was what I am sharing with you here but truth is I’ve found the cupcake craze kind of demoralizing over the last couple of years. I’ve tried but my piping skills are lacking and so is my time and patience, I wish could make fancy little cake toppers but I give up! What I have here are quick to make, simple to decorate, very easy to eat chocolate cupcakes!
Oh and the secret ingredient is courgette! This is the last courgette recipe this year, (I think!) I still have lots to get through so they are making an appearance in everything! A problem I sometimes have when making chocolate cakes is that the cake can be rather dry. Well the courgette is my secret weapon, it keeps the cake nice and moist without adding any taste, and it doesn’t even show! I gave them to 3 children who ate them with a chorus of “mmm”s and not one of them spotted anything green!
Chocolate Cupcakes (with courgette)
- 125 gram (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175 gram (6 oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175 gram (6 oz) plain flour
- 100 gram (3.5 oz) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 125 ml ( 4.5 fl oz) milk
- 250 gram grated courgette
- Cream together the butter and sugar, I use my mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time beating after adding each egg.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda.
- Add the dry mix to the creamed butter, sugar and eggs, I find it mixes easiest adding a 3rd at a time. After each addition of dry ingredient mix add a 3rd of milk.
- Add the grated courgette and mix in.
- Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Wen cooked cool completely on a cake rack before icing.
I ran out of cocoa powder but did have chocolate chips so a quick internet search took me to this icing, which worked great! It has a lovely toffee hint and is deliciously sweet which works well with the cupcakes as they are not overly sweet.
- For the recipe for ‘“Never Fail chocolate Icing” see here
- I used icing sugar.