This is the second of my Think you love Beetroot challenge posts, using beetroot in different ways. Once again I was drawn to a recipe on the lovebeetroot.co.uk website, the Tenderstem®, Beetroot & Toasted Seed Salad with Lemon Dressing looked really healthy and tasty and with so few ingredients it fitted in with October Unprocessed which I’m following for the month of October.
I did make a few changes to the original recipe, I couldn’t find Tenderstem broccoli so used Purple Sprouting Broccoli instead, which I happen to love. The soy sauce in their recipe did not fall under my Unprocessed rule so I gave that a miss. When it came to making the dressing I used olive rather than rapeseed oil as I had just bought a nice virgin olive oil that was as unprocessed as I could find. I really enjoyed this salad and although always happy with a lemon/olive oil dressing I will try it again with the soy sauce just to see the difference. I had this for lunch on its own but it would also make a good, healthy dinner side dish served with grilled meat or fish.
Beetroot and Purple Sprouting Broccoli Salad (adapted from this recipe)
- 200 g Purple sprouting broccoli (or Tenderstem) Stems cut in half
- 50 g mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, linseed)
- 250 g plain, cooked beetroot (I used the vacuum packed from lovebeetroot)
- Small bunch of fresh chives chopped finely
For the Dressing
- 2 tbsp Cold Pressed Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of half a small lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground Pepper
- Make the dressing by whisking the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together. Set aside.
- Steam or boil the broccoli until just tender (it needs to be quite firm).
- Toast the seeds by putting into a dry frying pan for a couple of minutes over a medium heat until lightly browned, stir or toss regularly.
- Drain the broccoli and arrange in your dish, drizzle over the dressing and sprinkle with the seeds and chives.
- Serve immediately.