A really quick post today! This is a really easy one pan meal to make. I look after 3 children and its rare to find a meal that all 3 of them like. This is one meal that mercifully they all like and there is no fuss when it’s served. When feeding children who doesn’t feel relief when that happens! I’ve never liked “real” sausages, not even as a kid! As I don’t eat sausages I’m not very good at cooking them so I prefer to use the soy based ones but Quorn are fine too, in fact the kids seem to prefer the Quorn sausages as they are less peppery. I see no reason that this couldn’t be made with real sausages if you prefer. The vegetarian sausages are good though, especially if you want a lower fat meal for the whole family.This is a fast meal that can be made ahead, I usually make it at lunch time to serve for dinner after school, it also freezes well.
Vegetarian Sausage Casserole
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6-8 vegetarian sausages each cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 350 ml passata 250-300 ml vegetable stock (I like a low salt version for kids)
- 1/4 tsp of dried thyme
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add onion and carrot to the pan, cook until the onions have softened and are just starting to brown at the edges.
- Add the vegetarian sausages, stir until the sausages are starting to brown.
- Add the garlic, stir then add the passata.
- Add the stock, thyme and pepper.
- Simmer, stirring regularly until the carrots are cooked through.
- Serve hot with rice or cous cous and vegetables.