Christmas is almost upon us! I had such good intentions of writing some Christmas blog posts, however I’ve found that time is fast disappearing and all I do seem to be writing are lists! I’ve yet to even finish writing my Christmas cards! I did want to share this speedy gift idea though.
Although I love the idea of giving homemade gifts, sometimes food gifts can be tricky. The can have a short shelf life, don’t travel well and sometimes less foodie friends just don’t know what to do with them! This gift however has none of these issues!
Flavoured salt is what I’m talking about. It’s easy to use, just a little sprinkle onto food before serving can really add a little lift to the dish. At this time of the year flavoured salts are often sold as a gift idea in stores at inflated prices, It really is so easy and much cheaper to make your own. Just sea salt, the flavour of your choice, a little jar and you are all set.
I’ve chosen to make lemon salt as the person I have this in mind for cooks a lot with lemons (and I want the leftovers!). This took less than 10 minutes to make. It makes a pretty and thoughtful little gift that lasts a long time and travels well. You can use any sea salt, I used Maldon. Do use organic, unwaxed lemons as you will be using te zest.
- 75 grams (2/3 cup)
- zest of 1 medium-sized lemon
- Pre heat the oven to 180 c, 350 f, Gas 4.
- Mix the sea salt and the lemon zest together. It takes a minute or so to get the zest evenly throughout the salt, turning it a lovely shade of yellow.
- Sprinkle onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and put into the oven for 5 minutes, until the zest looks dry.
- When the salt has cooled put into a jar of your choice.