Easy, peasy, that’s what these are! If you have over-ripe bananas, in under 30 minutes you can have a rack of delicious banana muffins!
I began freezing over-ripe bananas a while ago. It was a revelation to me that you could just throw whole bananas in the freezer! The bananas do defrost to a gross mush but that just makes mashing them easier. I was looking in the freezer recently and found frozen bananas all over the place! Turns out I had 19 frozen bananas! I defrosted 3 bananas out to make my usual banana bread only to discover I had no butter! I’m a fan of baking with oil rather than butter as it adds a great texture so I thought Id try replacing the butter with olive oil. As I was changing things I thought Id try muffins rather than a loaf.
These banana olive oil muffins are a great alternative to banana bread. Using oil rather than butter worked so well I will stick to that! They are quicker to cook than a loaf and are easily portable in their own cases, making a great lunch box addition. They are also really versatile, I think I will add raisins next time. What do you like in your banana muffin?
Banana Olive Oil Muffins
- 150 grams plain flour
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 80 ml olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 190 C, 375 F, Gas 5. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. A fairy cake pan works too!
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, ( flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon).
- Combine the beaten egg, mashed bananas and olive oil, fold into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fill each paper liner about half full and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack, store in an airtight tin.