This recipe is for a delicious and tangy Lemon Custard Filling that is perfect for pies, tarts, cakes, or as a standalone dessert. This filling is smooth and creamy with a bright lemon flavor. It serves 6 and can be made in under 30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 160
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- Sodium: 64mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 13g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 11g
- Protein: 3g
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the heavy cream, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and salt.
- Slowly pour the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly onto the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before using.
This Lemon Custard Filling is perfect for many desserts, such as pie, tarts, or even as a topping for cake. You can also use it as a standalone dessert by garnishing it with some fresh berries or a dollop of whipped cream.