This Easy Strawberry Shortcake recipe produces an iconic summer dessert that’s impossible to resist. It’s the perfect balance of sweet strawberries, fluffy shortcake, and freshly whipped cream, making it a crowd-pleaser for any occasion. This recipe yields 8 servings, with a prep time of 30 minutes and a cook time of 15 minutes.
Nutrition per serving:
– Calories: 385kcal
– Carbohydrates: 46g
– Protein: 5g
– Fat: 20g
– Saturated Fat: 12g
– Cholesterol: 72mg
– Sodium: 498mg
– Potassium: 285mg
– Fiber: 2g
– Sugar: 24g
– Vitamin A: 685IU
– Vitamin C: 50mg
– Calcium: 159mg
– Iron: 2mg
- 2 lbs strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cold heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the sliced strawberries with 1/2 cup of granulated sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, work in the cubed butter until the mixture looks like coarse sand.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overwork the dough.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop the dough onto the lined baking sheet. Leave enough room between each shortcake for it to expand while baking.
- Bake the shortcakes for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Allow them to cool slightly.
- To assemble the shortcakes, cut each one in half and layer with the sugared strawberries and whipped cream. Serve immediately.
- This recipe calls for cold butter, heavy cream, and buttermilk. It’s important to keep these ingredients cold to create a buttery, flaky texture.
- Slicing the strawberries and adding sugar helps them release their juices, creating a delicious syrupy topping for the shortcakes.
- You can also substitute the whipped cream for vanilla ice cream or Greek yogurt for a tangy twist.
This Easy Strawberry Shortcake is a classic dessert that’s perfect for any summer gathering. It’s quick to make and always a crowd-pleaser. It fits into the dessert category and has American cuisine.