The Strawberry Trifle is a classic British dessert dish that is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. This is a delicious dessert that includes layers of cake, fresh strawberries, whipped cream and custard. The perfect dessert for any summer party!
- 250g fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 pound (450g) cake, cut into small cubes (pound cake works well)
- 1 packet of custard (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups heavy whipped cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- 1/4 cup sugar (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam (optional)
- Servings: 8
- Calories: 390kcal
- Protein: 6g
- Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Sugar: 32g
- Fiber: 2g
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Chilling Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
You can add a layer of sliced bananas or raspberries to this trifle if you like. For a boozy twist, you can also add a layer of sherry-soaked sponge cake.
- Prepare the custard according to package instructions. Let it cool.
- Place the sliced strawberries in a bowl and add the sugar. Stir and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- If you’re using strawberry jam, spread it onto the cubes of cake.
- Start layering the cake cubes into the bottom of a large trifle bowl, then spoon the strawberries and their syrup on top.
- Add a layer of custard on top of the strawberries
- Add a layer of whipped cream on top of the custard.
- Repeat the layers until you reach the top of the bowl, ending with a layer of whipped cream.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries or with chopped nuts if desired.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.