The Best Green Bean Casserole is a classic comfort side dish that is a must-have for any family gathering or holiday feast. Made with fresh green beans, onions, mushrooms, and a creamy sauce, this casserole is a crowd-pleaser and perfect for a hearty meal.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories per serving: 256
- Total Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 618mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Total Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 8g
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup French-fried onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Blanch green beans in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms, and cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the onion and mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the flour is lightly browned.
- Gradually stir in chicken or vegetable broth and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, for about 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add garlic powder and onion powder to the sauce. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add blanched green beans to the sauce and stir until they are coated.
- Transfer the green bean mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the French-fried onions on top in an even layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly and the onions are crispy and golden brown.
- Servings: 6-8
- Cooking Time: 45-50 minutes
- Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American