These crispy onion rings are a perfect snack or side dish to any meal. They are easy to make and require only a few ingredients.
- 2 large onions, sliced into rings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Nutrition per serving:
- Calories: 278
- Protein: 7g
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 597mg
It is best to use sweet or Vidalia onions for this recipe. You can also add additional spices like garlic powder or cayenne pepper to give them an extra kick.
- Peel and slice onions into rings, separating each ring.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg.
- Dip each onion ring into the flour mixture, then the buttermilk mixture, and then the bread crumbs, making sure to coat well.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or deep fryer until it reaches 375°F.
- Carefully place a few onion rings at a time in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per batch.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Serve immediately.