Posts Tagged Barley Healthy Salad
When I’m in the need of a healthy meal this salad makes a great lunch. It’s also handy as it’s a great make ahead dish. I make up a batch at the weekend and store it in the fridge, putting some into a Tupperware tub to take to work. I find it so much easier to have a healthy lunch at work if I take it in from home. Its got a really fresh, lively taste and comes with that lovely feeling you get when you know you are being healthy! I have had the salad for dinner, warmed with some roasted beetroot and a little feta- that was good!
It’s a very easy dish and so versatile, if you don’t have “Sunblush” tomatoes any sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil will do. I’ve used basil instead of coriander/cilantro. 1/2 a red onion works well instead of the spring onons/scallions.
Barley and sun-dried Tomato Salad
- 175 gram/6 oz Pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoons White wine vinegar
- Half teaspoon Honey
- 100 gram/3.5 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped.
- 3 Spring onions/scallions, chopped.
- Small handful of Coriander/cilantro, chopped.
- Small handful of Rocket to serve.
- Salt & fresh ground Pepper to taste.
Boil the barley until tender, approx 40 minutes.
Whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar and honey.
When the barley is tender, drain and place in a largish serving bowl. Pour over the dressing.
Add the tomatoes, spring onion and coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Mix together and leave to let it cool.
Serve either warm/room temperature or (as I prefer) cooled, with rocket.