Posts Tagged courgetttes
I can not believe that I have not put this recipe on my blog before! Its been my go to Summer cake recipe ever since the regular gluts of courgettes have come my way.
I have no childhood memories of courgettes, not one! I don’t think they made it into our house, my parents must not have liked them. I only seem to remember discovering them after I came to the UK, therefore I usually call them courgettes. I use the word zucchini for this loaf however as when I first started looking for inspiration for the courgette glut it was American recipes for zucchini cake that first caught my eye and the name has stuck!
This is a light cake with no taste of courgette, lets face it they are a rather tasteless vegetable aren’t they? The courgette do however lend a lovely moistness to the cake. Think carrot cake, only easier! Another thing I love about this loaf is that it uses olive oil rather than butter, a blessing for last minute cake making, no waiting for butter to soften! Finally as if I couldn’t sing this loaf’s praises enough, it freezes very well so when I have loads of courgette and I’ve got the food possessor out I shred more and make extra cakes to store in the freezer.
This loaf also works well with wholemeal flour.
- 180 gram plain white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 180 grams sugar ( I like to use unrefined)
- 125 ml olive oil – mild flavoured
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 grams grated zucchini (courgette)
- Pre heat oven to 170 c, 325 f, Gas 3. Prepare a loaf tin by greasing with a little olive oil and lining with baking paper.
- Weigh the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon into a bowl, whisk together.
- In another bowl, or in your mixer bowl beat together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Add the flour mix and combine well.
- Gently stir in the zucchini/courgette.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- When cooked cool in the tin for about 20 minutes the turn onto a rack to cool completely.