Posts Tagged healthy salad
It’s National Vegetarian week here this week. I decided to take part in that by eating a vegetarian diet this week. I’ve had to think of new lunches for the week. One of the lunches I came up with was this lentil salad, I was led by what was in the fridge, which is why I call this Fridge Dump Lentils. I read that term somewhere on the internet and have mentally used it since whenever I’m gathering whats left in the fridge to make a meal. This salad was a winner! I love lentils but don’t get around to cooking them so often, which is a shame as they are really good for you. Lentils are a good source of fibre, good for your heart and can help to lower your cholesterol. This is also one of those lunches that you can make ahead and just keep in a Tupperware for the week ahead. It would be easy to make variations according to taste and make your own fridge dump version, just throw in what you have. I think the lentils, both types of tomatoes and the stock make a good base which can then be enjoyed with lots of different salad items. This just happens to be what I had in the fridge.
Fridge Dump Lentil Salad
- 225 grams Puy Lentils
- 2 tsp Swiss vegetable Bouillon stock powder, use cube or fresh if preferred
- 1 pint of boiling water
- 2 tsp Olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 8-10 Baby mushrooms each cut in half.
- 1 carrot, diced small
- 1 stick celery, sliced thinly
- 5 cm of Cucumber , cubed
- 8 Cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
- 6 Sun dried tomatoes cut small
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse lentils and add to a saucepan, cover with the stock made with the boiling water.
- Cook lentils according to package instructions, my pack said bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking you can be chopping your vegetables.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the mushrooms, just until tender.
- When the lentil are cooked drain excess liquid if you have any and tip the lentils into a bowl.
- Add the mushrooms and all of the other vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle over olive oil and squeeze lemon juice to taste.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.