Posts Tagged kale day
Some time this month is/was national kale day and as I’m in my first week of doing my 4th October Unprocessed it seems only fitting to celebrate such a healthy day! This post was meant to be timed with that day but sometimes life gets in the way of such plans.
I have been trying to think of ways to use up kale as my crop keeps coming from the allotment! I’ve had lots of kale salads and one of my favourite quick dinners is stir fried kale with fried eggs. One of the pod casts I enjoy listening to is the Splendid Table and while perusing their website I came across a recipe for Kale and Sweet Potato soup. I happened to have both sweet potatoes and kale so set about making this soup for a healthy lunch. I wondered why there was no picture of the soup on their website, strange not to have a picture with a recipe especially on a food site. Well once I made the soup and took approximately 60 pictures trying to get the soup to look like anything other than bile I understood why they decided not to include a picture! The soup certainly does taste nicer than it looks, but don’t let its vivid green appearance put you off! Unfortunately that did happen to my husband, I couldn’t help but laugh hearing his worried shout up the stairs “this soup isn’t for me is it?” No, he could not be persuaded to share any!
I really like this soup, the sweet potatoes lend their typical sweet tones and the toasty cumin and heat from the chilli combine to make a very tasty, warming soup. It’s quick to make and good for you too with both kale and sweet potatoes been high in vitamins, fibre and iron. To avoid the bright green colour you could blend the soup a little less or adjust the sweet potato/kale ratio.
Kale and Sweet Potato Soup (inspired from this recipe)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, approx 350 grams
- 225 grams kale, I used curly kale but any is fine. Remove tough stems and roughly chop leaves
- 750 ml vegetable stock plus a little more to thin soup at the end
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the oil to a large saucepan and sauté the onion and sweet potato over a medium heat until the onion is softened.
- Add the stock to the potatoes and onions and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin and chilli , stir to combine then add the kale and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes until the potatoes are soft and the kale cooked through. The kale will sit right on top of the soup, if you put a lid on the pan the kale on top will steam.
- Carefully pour the contents of the pan into a blender and blend until desired consistency is reached. If necessary add a little more stock if a thinner soup is preferred.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.